Australia and NZ to begin New Caledonia evacuations

Australia and NZ to begin New Caledonia evacuations
Australia and NZ to begin New Caledonia evacuations

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details Australia and NZ to begin New Caledonia evacuations in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - BRISBANE — Australia and New Zealand say they have received clearance to send planes to New Caledonia to pick up travelers stranded after unrest shut down the international airport.

Australia is deploying two planes on Tuesday to evacuate some of the 300 of its citizens who have registered for assistance in the French Pacific territory.

The first of "a series" of proposed flights will also leave New Zealand and bring about 50 people home, the government in Wellington said.

The unrest began last week after lawmakers in Paris voted through changes that will allow more French residents to vote in local elections, a move indigenous leaders say will dilute the political influence of native people.

Four civilians — including at least three indigenous Kanak residents — have been killed in riots along with two police officers.

Dozens more have been injured and more than 200 people have so far been arrested.

Both Australia and New Zealand said they would prioritize flying out those with the most “pressing need”, with passenger lists being organized by consular staff.

Tourists from "other countries" would also be assisted, Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong said.

As well as witnessing fires and looting, holidaymakers who have been stuck for more than a week have reported food shortages.

"The situation in New Caledonia remains dynamic, and New Zealand officials are continuing to work with French counterparts and other partners especially Australia to understand what is needed to ensure the safety of our people there," New Zealand Foreign Minister Winston Peters said.

Around 290 New Zealanders are believed to be in New Caledonia.

Australian tourist Maxwell Winchester told AFP that he and and his wife Tiffany were "ecstatic" at the prospect of getting home after being confined to a resort near Nouméa for over a week.

"We realize we probably won't get on these flights, because those who have higher needs will get on them, but we at least know we have a way out in the next few days," he said.

The French High Commission in New Caledonia says French gendarmes trying to take back control of the 60km (37 mile) road between Nouméa and La Tontouta International have "neutralized" 76 roadblocks and are now clearing debris such as burnt-out vehicles.

Travel advice by the Australian government has warned people not to try and get to the airport themselves saying the route “is not yet considered safe”.

The airport remains closed for commercial flights, and a decision on when to reopen it will be reassessed on Thursday, the local government said.

It has estimated that about 3,200 people are waiting to leave or enter New Caledonia.

France has flown in 1,050 extra police to boost security in the territory, with a further 600 reinforcements to arrive "in the coming hours", France's High Commission in New Caledonia said on Tuesday.

The military is being deployed to protect public buildings, it added.

Earlier this week, French President Emmanuel Macron warned that the military would need to remain deployed in New Caledonia "for some time". — BBC


These were the details of the news Australia and NZ to begin New Caledonia evacuations for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Austrian minister defies coalition ally to back EU nature restoration law
NEXT Canada’s infamous serial killer Robert Pickton dies after prison attack

Author Information

I am Joshua Kelly and I focus on breaking news stories and ensuring we (“Al-KhaleejToday.NET”) offer timely reporting on some of the most recent stories released through market wires about “Services” sector. I have formerly spent over 3 years as a trader in U.S. Stock Market and is now semi-stepped down. I work on a full time basis for Al-KhaleejToday.NET specializing in quicker moving active shares with a short term view on investment opportunities and trends. Address: 838 Emily Drive Hampton, SC 29924, USA Phone: (+1) 803-887-5567 Email: [email protected]