Death toll from South African building collapse rises to 33

Hello and welcome to the details of Death toll from South African building collapse rises to 33 and now with the details

Death toll from South African building collapse rises to 33

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - A man raises his hand as rescue workers carry him to an ambulance after being rescued, having survived 118 hours after a deadly building collapse in George, South Africa May 11, 2024. — Garden Route District Municipality handout via Reuters

JOHANNESBURG, May 14 — The death toll from a building collapse in the South African city of George last week edged up to 33 today, as rescuers continued to comb through the rubble with 19 people still unaccounted for more than a week after the incident.

Municipal officials said in a statement that only six of those who had been killed on the construction site had been identified so far, as authorities were struggling to get accurate names.

The last person to be rescued was pulled from the wreckage at the weekend, in what the Western Cape province’s premier described as “nothing short of a miracle” coming five days after the disaster.

The death toll stood at 32 yesterday. It has been steadily rising over the past week as more bodies have been retrieved.

Advertisement

It is not clear why the five-storey building in the city east of Cape Town collapsed on May 6. Investigations are under way.

Rescuers have used cranes, drills and their bare hands to try to reach those trapped.

Municipal officials said fluent speakers of the Chewa, Portuguese and Shona languages had been at the scene providing support. It is believed that migrants from other southern African countries such as Malawi and Zimbabwe were working on the construction site. — Reuters

Advertisement

These were the details of the news Death toll from South African building collapse rises to 33 for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Mumbai police open probe as billboard collapse death toll hits 14
NEXT South Africa building collapse: Death toll rise to 30, another 22 still missing

Author Information

I have been an independent financial adviser for over 11 years in the city and in recent years turned my experience in finance and passion for journalism into a full time role. I perform analysis of Companies and publicize valuable information for shareholder community. Address: 2077 Sharon Lane Mishawaka, IN 46544, USA Phone: (+1) 574-255-1083 Email: [email protected]