Humanitarians locked in aid delivery ‘dance’ to avert famine in Gaza

Humanitarians locked in aid delivery ‘dance’ to avert famine in Gaza
Humanitarians locked in aid delivery ‘dance’ to avert famine in Gaza

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details Humanitarians locked in aid delivery ‘dance’ to avert famine in Gaza in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - GENEVA — Scaling up assistance in Gaza remains a challenge in the face of continued access denials, delays and other impediments, the head of the UN humanitarian affairs office (OCHA) in the occupied Palestinian territories said on Tuesday.

Andrea de Domenico was speaking via videoconference to journalists in New York, briefing them on developments in the Gaza Strip and West Bank.

He said although humanitarians welcome recent Israeli commitments to improve aid facilitation in Gaza, “we are dealing with this dance where we do one step forward, two steps backwards; or two steps forward and one step backward, which leaves us basically at the same point”.

Between April 6-12, 41 percent of humanitarian requests to the north were denied, he said. A UN convoy also came under crossfire while near a checkpoint during the same period.

Although humanitarians and the international community are making every possible effort to support people inside Gaza, “the reality is there is very little that we can bring...to tackle displacement and deal with the looming famine”.

De Domenico addressed the overall devastation in Gaza since the start of hostilities following the brutal Hamas attacks against Israel on Oct. 7, 2023.

“The vast majority of schools have been destroyed and there is not a single university that is standing in Gaza. It will take years to bring back students to school, and you can imagine what is the implication for that,” he said.

The conflict has also seen “really very problematic” military operations at hospitals, such as the recent two-week offensive that left Al-Shifa Hospital “completely non-functional”. UN teams are now helping families with identifying the remnants of corpses found buried in graves within the premises.

He said “uncertainty is a daily reality for people in Gaza”, where families have been displaced multiple times. Thousands of Palestinians flocked to the coastal road two days ago following rumors that Israel would allow people to return to the north.

Meanwhile, engagement with Israel continues, including towards opening a border crossing into northern Gaza.

“We’ve seen some progress on that,” he said. “There are still some tests. It’s very sensitive, of course, as you can imagine, from the Israeli public, and also there are logistical challenges to face”, due to the sheer level of destruction in the north.

Turning to the West Bank, he said a new wave of settler violence erupted last Friday following the discovery of the body of an Israeli boy who had gone missing.

Simultaneous attacks were carried out against 17 villages and three Palestinians were killed, and many more injured. The UN counted 21 homes completely burned, along with 30 cars and agricultural infrastructure, and 86 people displaced.

“There has been the use of live ammunition, and dozens of livestock have been killed and hundreds stolen. And Israeli forces in some cases, and accounts that we have collected on the ground, were somehow protecting the attackers or in some cases participating in the attack,” he said.

De Domenico said the development is “quite concerning...because it is entrenching a trend that has been very, very intense after October.”

He said 781 attacks have occurred since then, or more than four per day, and the newly appointed Palestinian prime minister has requested international support to prevent the situation from deteriorating.

The UN has also counted 114 new barriers that have been erected in the West Bank since Oct. 7, including checkpoints, roadblocks and road gates “which is constraining the ability of Palestinians to move to the point that some of our colleagues do not come to the office now for months”.

The restrictions have had an impact on livelihoods and also displaced more than 200 Palestinian households, some 1,300 people, mostly herder families.

On Wednesday, humanitarians will announce a $2.8 billion flash appeal to support some three million people across the West Bank and Gaza through the end of the year, with 90 percent of the funding going to the enclave.

He said the original request was for $4 billion “but considering the limited ability to deliver and the space that we have to do so, we have really focused on the highest priority.” — UN News


These were the details of the news Humanitarians locked in aid delivery ‘dance’ to avert famine in Gaza for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

NEXT Top French university loses funding over pro-Palestinian protests

Author Information

I am Joshua Kelly and I focus on breaking news stories and ensuring we (“Al-KhaleejToday.NET”) offer timely reporting on some of the most recent stories released through market wires about “Services” sector. I have formerly spent over 3 years as a trader in U.S. Stock Market and is now semi-stepped down. I work on a full time basis for Al-KhaleejToday.NET specializing in quicker moving active shares with a short term view on investment opportunities and trends. Address: 838 Emily Drive Hampton, SC 29924, USA Phone: (+1) 803-887-5567 Email: [email protected]