Family of Sydney mall attacker offer ‘condolences’ to son’s victims

Family of Sydney mall attacker offer ‘condolences’ to son’s victims
Family of Sydney mall attacker offer ‘condolences’ to son’s victims

Hello and welcome to the details of Family of Sydney mall attacker offer ‘condolences’ to son’s victims and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese (centre) with New South Wales Premier Chris Minns outside the Westfield Bondi Junction shopping mall in Sydney on April 14, 2024. — AFP pic

SYDNEY, April 14 — Australian police today said the parents of a man who killed six people in a Sydney shopping centre had offered condolences to their son’s victims and their families.

Queensland police assistant commissioner Roger Lowe said the parents of the man had also sent a message of “support” to the officer who shot him dead, “expressing their concerns for her welfare”.

The 40-year-old attacker has been named as Joel Cauchi, an itinerant with a history of mental health problems.

Lowe said Cauchi had been diagnosed with an unspecified mental illness at age 17, but police were still trying to establish what prompted a violent change in his behaviour.

Advertisement

He is said to have been in contact with police several times over the last four to five years but has never been arrested or charged with any offence.

Cauchi is said to have had limited and sporadic contact with his parents since moving to Sydney, with contact limited to occasional text messages.

“We believe he has been sleeping in a vehicle or backpacks (hostels)” Lowe said.

Advertisement

Police are investigating whether Cauchi had targeted women specifically, but he is not believed to have any religious, ideological or terror motive.

Five of his victims who died were women, and one was a male security guard.

“He has not been prosecuted or arrested or charged for any offence within Queensland. And he has no record within the courts for a domestic violence order” Lowe said.

Queensland police indicated they had not been tracking him or did not perceive him as a threat to society.

“We have people in our society who suffer from mental health, they go about their days without trouble without causing these types of crimes” Lowe said.

“Mental health in society is not a crime,” he said. “We do not run an intelligence regime on persons who suffer from mental health.”

“There would only be an exchange of information if a person were to present such a security risk in society.” — AFP

These were the details of the news Family of Sydney mall attacker offer ‘condolences’ to son’s victims for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Georgian President vetoes controversial 'foreign agents' bill
NEXT Top French university loses funding over pro-Palestinian protests

Author Information

I am Jeff King and I’m passionate about business and finance news with over 4 years in the industry starting as a writer working my way up into senior positions. I am the driving force behind Al-KhaleejToday.NET with a vision to broaden the company’s readership throughout 2016. I am an editor and reporter of “Financial” category. Address: 383 576 Gladwell Street Longview, TX 75604, USA Phone: (+1) 903-247-0907 Email: [email protected]