A dozen still missing after China's earthquake, 137 dead

A dozen still missing after China's earthquake, 137 dead
A dozen still missing after China's earthquake, 137 dead

Hello and welcome to the details of A dozen still missing after China's earthquake, 137 dead and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - A man stands at his damaged house at Sibuzi village following the earthquake in Jishishan county, Gansu province, China December 21, 2023. ― Reuters pic

DAHEJIA (China), Dec 21 ― A dozen people were still missing today after a 6.2-magnitude earthquake struck northwestern Gansu province late Monday, and netizens questioned the speed at which rescue operations had ended.

Chinese media reported that search-and-rescue work in Gansu ended at 3pm (0700 GMT) on Tuesday, about 15 hours after the disaster hit a remote and mountainous area near the border straddling Gansu and Qinghai provinces. It was not immediately clear whether the search in Qinghai was continuing.

In Gansu, 115 people had been found dead as of 9am yesterday (0100 GMT) and 784 were injured, authorities said. Gansu has not reported any missing persons.

Advertisement

Neighbouring Qinghai saw its death toll rose to 22 with 198 injured and 12 missing as of 8:56 p.m. on Wednesday.

More than 207,000 homes were wrecked and nearly 15,000 collapsed in Gansu, affecting more than 145,000 people.

Discussions online showed netizens curious about how quickly rescue efforts wrapped up in Gansu, with many suggesting that the sub-freezing temperatures were the main factor in shortening the “golden period” for finding survivors ― typically 72 hours post-disaster.

Advertisement

People trapped under rubble exposed to prolonged temperatures of -10° Celsius (14°F) run the risk of rapid hypothermia and may only be able to live for five to 10 hours even if uninjured, local media reported, citing researchers.

“They would have been dead by the time they were found, even 24 hours is already too long. Outdoor temperatures are below minus 10 C,” a user on Chinese microblogging platform Weibo commented.

Some users on Weibo considered other factors such as that the search area was not especially wide, and that people have been all accounted for, leading to rescue efforts ending in less than a day.

Surviving the cold

Rescuers on Wednesday pulled to safety victims of the earthquake, which jolted Jishishan county in Gansu a minute before midnight on Monday, sending many residents in the area out of homes into the cold in the dead of the night.

Survivors face uncertainty in the wintry months ahead without permanent shelter amid freezing temperatures.

Many of the affected families are Hui people, an ethnic minority mostly found in western Chinese provinces and regions such as Gansu, Ningxia and Shaanxi.

In Gansu's Sibuzi village, villagers worried about the freezing winter.

“Many people escaped from their homes, some without socks, just ran out barefoot. It's extremely cold standing on the ground,” said Zhou Habai, an ethnic Hui woman.

The 24-year-old, now staying in a makeshift tent after her home was destroyed, said some villagers have been gathering and burning firewood to keep warm.

About 60 per cent of the survivors have not received tents, 63-year-old Ye Zhiying, from the same village, told Reuters.

He said officials from the Communist Party had told them that the village would distribute tents by noon on Thursday, and would be set up in less than a week.

“Whether everyone can be accommodated or not, we don't know,” said the Hui villager, who was given a tent on Wednesday.

Roads, power and water lines and agricultural production facilities have suffered damage, and the quake triggered land and mudslides that swept through villages in Qinghai's Haidong where the missing were reported from. ― Reuters

These were the details of the news A dozen still missing after China's earthquake, 137 dead for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Hundreds arrive for Navalny funeral despite Kremlin warning
NEXT Italy foreign minister urges ‘immediate ceasefire’ in Gaza

Author Information

I have been an independent financial adviser for over 11 years in the city and in recent years turned my experience in finance and passion for journalism into a full time role. I perform analysis of Companies and publicize valuable information for shareholder community. Address: 2077 Sharon Lane Mishawaka, IN 46544, USA Phone: (+1) 574-255-1083 Email: [email protected]