Hello and welcome to the details of Taliban claim Kabul bombing as Afghan forces defend besieged cities and now with the details
KABUL, Aug 4 — The Taliban today claimed responsibility for a huge bomb attack in Kabul targeting the defence minister as the insurgents fought for control of a string of besieged cities.
The bomb-and-gun attack on Defence Minister Bismillah Mohammadi yesterday was one of the biggest in Kabul for months, bringing violence to the capital after intense fighting in the south and west of the country.
The Afghan and US militaries have carried out air strikes against the insurgents to push them back, and the Taliban said the Kabul attack was a response to that.
“The attack is the beginning of the retaliatory operations against the circles and leaders of the Kabul administration who are ordering attacks and the bombing of different parts of the country,” Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in a statement on social media.
It represents a major escalation by the Taliban, who have largely refrained from large-scale attacks in the capital in recent years after starting talks with the United States on troop withdrawal.
The attack yesterday targeted Mohammadi as well as some lawmakers.
The first bomb exploded in the centre of Kabul, sending a thick plume of smoke into the sky, AFP correspondents reported.
Less than two hours later, there was another loud blast followed by smaller explosions and rapid gunfire, also near the high-security Green Zone that houses several embassies, including the US mission.
The minister was safe and Afghan forces repelled the attackers, but at least eight people were killed, according to interior ministry spokesman Mirwais Stanikzai.
Mohammadi later said it was a suicide car bomb attack targeting his house.
A security source said several attackers stormed a lawmaker’s house after setting off the car bomb and shot at the residence of the defence minister from there.
Security forces had cordoned off the scene of the attack today as troops inspected the buildings and cars damaged by the blasts.
Rubble covered the area while there were bloodstains on some of the floors.
There was little respite in Kabul early Wednesday after a blast injured three people, according to police.
‘No way to escape’
The Taliban threat came after the Afghan military launched a counterattack against the insurgents in the southern city of Lashkar Gah.
The military had asked people to leave the city yesterday as they prepared for their offensive.
Resident Saleh Mohammad said hundreds of families had fled as fighting erupted between the two sides, trapping many in the crossfire.
“There is no way to escape from the area because the fighting is ongoing. There is no guarantee that we will not be killed on the way,” Mohammad said.
“The government and the Taliban are destroying us.”
The insurgents have taken control of vast swathes of the countryside and key border towns, taking advantage of the security vacuum left by the withdrawal of US forces.
The Taliban are now targeting cities, with fierce fighting for a week around Herat near the western border with Iran, as well as Lashkar Gah and Kandahar in the south.
The Afghan military counterattack came after another night of heavy clashes with the Taliban.
“Those families which had financial support or a car have left their homes. The families who can not afford to are obliged to stay in their own homes as we are,” resident Halim Karimi told AFP.
“We don’t know where to go or how to leave. We are born to die.”
The loss of Lashkar Gah, the capital of southern Helmand province, would be a massive strategic and psychological blow for the government.
The United Nations reported yesterday that at least 40 civilians had been killed in Lashkar Gah in the previous 24 hours.
Meanwhile, Human Rights Watch accused that the Taliban of “summarily” executing detained soldiers, police and civilians with alleged ties to the Afghan government in areas they had recently seized.
The rights group said it had also obtained a list of 44 people who were killed by the Taliban in the town of Spin Boldak, which the insurgents captured last month along the border with Pakistan.
“Taliban commanders with oversight over such atrocities are also responsible for war crimes,” Patricia Gossman, associate Asia director at HRW said in a statement.
Washington and London have also accused the insurgents of committing atrocities that may amount to “war crimes” in Spin Boldak. — AFP
These were the details of the news Taliban claim Kabul bombing as Afghan forces defend besieged cities for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.