Blinken calls for indefinite Tigray ceasefire in call with Ethiopian PM

Blinken calls for indefinite Tigray ceasefire in call with Ethiopian PM
Blinken calls for indefinite Tigray ceasefire in call with Ethiopian PM

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details Blinken calls for indefinite Tigray ceasefire in call with Ethiopian PM in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - WASHINGTON — US Secretary of State Antony Blinken spoke with Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed over the telephone to discuss the latest developments in the war-hit Tigray region.

In a press statement, Ned Price, the spokesman of the US Department of State, said that Blinken stressed the need for all parties to commit to an immediate and indefinite ceasefire in the northern Tigray region during his talks with the Ethiopian premier.

The conflict in Tigray has killed thousands of people, displaced more than 2 million and pushed hundreds of thousands to the brink of famine, with international pressure building on both sides to end hostilities.

Condemning the destruction of bridges into Tigray and other impediments to access, the US secretary of state urged Prime Minister Abiy to commit to the steps outlined in the United Nations Security Council on July 2.

He also sought a commitment for the withdrawal of both Eritrean and Amhara forces from Tigray, humanitarian access and the establishment of a process to hold those responsible for human rights abuses and atrocities accountable.

Blinken emphasized the urgency of holding an inclusive political dialogue to begin the difficult work of forging a lasting resolution to the country’s ethnic and political divisions, the statement added.

The Ethiopian government declared a unilateral ceasefire last week after its troops pulled out of Tigray’s capital of Mekelle in what it called a strategic withdrawal. — Agencies


These were the details of the news Blinken calls for indefinite Tigray ceasefire in call with Ethiopian PM for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

NEXT Hands off Africa, says Pope Francis in Kinshasa speech