Thank you for your reading and interest in the news Riyadh concert attacker acted on orders from Al Qaeda, court statement and now with details
Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - An attacker who stabbed performers during a live concert in the Saudi capital of Riyadh last month has confessed that he did so at the direction of Al Qaeda in Yemen.
The incident occurred at King Abdullah Park on November 11, one of several venues hosting a two-month-long Riyadh Season entertainment festival.
The unnamed man confessed to his linked to Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula based in Yemen during a hearing at Riyadh’s criminal court. The court heard that the man carried a sharp object and stabbed a security guard and two band members after receiving orders from the Yemen based terror group.
“Before his attack, the man covered his face and delivered a poem against the kingdom’s entertainment commission,” the court said in a statement.
Police said the man arrested was a 33-year old Yemeni expatriate and the knife used in the attack was seized.
Videos posted on social media portrayed the man welding a knife and rushing into performers on stage at the park.
Three people, two men and a woman, were wounded in the incident but they were taken to hospital and were in a stable condition, authorities reported shortly after the attack.
The accused was chased and tackled by another man as the performers fled from the stage. The three victims were in a stable condition after the attack, police said.
The court said it had gained enough evidence to prove “the man had participated in the terror group’s activities in Yemen.”
The November 11 concert is just one of the dozens of live entertainment events in the kingdom as the Saudi government sees to open up society, improve quality of life and become a tourist destination as it diversifies its economy away from oil.
Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula has long had a foothold in Yemen, despite a substantial campaign led by the US through the late-2000s that included the heavy use of unmanned drones to carry out strikes.
They grew in strength in the lead up to the country’s civil war in 2015.
The two men who carried out the January 2015 attacks on French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo both had ties to AQAP in Yemen. The attack left 12 dead and 11 others wounded.
AQAP then claimed responsibility for the attack.
But the group took advantage of the chaos caused months later by the rebel Houthi capture of the Yemeni capital and much of the north and centre of the country to stage a major resurgence.
AQAP fighters stormed the city of Mukalla in 2015, looted the banks taking an estimated $200 million (Dh734.6 million and freeing more than 300 fellow fighters from local prisons. They then established courts and their own governance structures, using the city as a hub from which to plan further attacks.
A campaign, carried out by local pro-government forces with significant help from the UAE as well as US airstrikes, recaptured Mukalla from AQAP and has secured the region while the process of rebuilding has begun.
The counterterror focus of the UAE, which intervened in the country at the request of the government as part of a Saudi-led coalition, has led to a significant degrading of AQAPs capabilities. The Emirates helped arm, train and support a force of 12,000 – including 4,000 local tribal fighters – to liberate Mukallah and fight AQAP in April 2016.
Updated: December 19, 2019 04:21 PM
These were the details of the news Riyadh concert attacker acted on orders from Al Qaeda, court statement for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at The National and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.