In 2016, Donald Trump beat Hillary Clinton by a margin of 19 percent in Lucerne. For Democrats in a county that “always” voted for Democrats, it was completely unheard of.
– Many voted for Trump to give the elites a nose thief. The Industrial Revolution began here in northeastern Pennsylvania, with coal of the highest quality. Now people here feel that there is no need for them anymore, says Bob Caruso.
But he is a Democrat on his neck and believes that Joe Biden with his “vanilla profile” is “the perfect anti-Trump”. Biden’s more empathetic profile appeals to many women, Bob believes.
The Pennsylvania party has hired him for a “voter protection” project.
Voters do not trust the post
Many of the voters outside the polling station in the small town of Wilkes-Barre brought with them completed postal votes in an envelope. Bob offers to check that everything is filled in correctly and that the envelope is closed when it is released in a blue metal box that is right outside the security checkpoint in the polling station.
– I make sure no votes are wasted. People here in Pennsylvania are not used to advance voting and voting by mail. Now every vote counts.
Ann and Michael Hopkins are among those who do not take the chance that the votes will disappear in the mail. This choice is too important.
– To me, the president is a stain, just by being the person he is. I do not think I should say more, says Ann. She is a very educated older lady.
– Trump has ruined the dignity of the presidency, says Michael.
Both are against self-determined abortion and on a collision course with Joe Biden in that case. But they believe that the most important thing now is to get rid of Trump.
A well grown lady in the same queue follows up.
– We are trying to save our country. I am 80 years old, and that is the most important choice I have ever voted for, says Joan.
Record attendance at the party office
American parties are not quite like Norwegian. Between the elections, the party organizations are completely invisible locally. But as election day approaches, it should preferably be full of chaotic energy.
This was not the case in 2016, says party leader Kathy Bozinski.
– People have said to me a thousand times “Hillary never came here in 2016”. You could not even get a Hillary sign for the garden without paying $ 25. Alternatively, you had to commit to going from door to door for 15 hours. It became too much for many elderly people, says Kathy.
Now there is a steady stream of voters into the party’s election campaign office in the center of Wilkes-Barre. Signs and stickers for cars are free, and people buy caps and bandages for Biden.
– The commitment is absolutely phenomenal, look at that queue, she says when she herself goes to vote and sees the queue outside the polling station.
NRK is not allowed to enter the premises itself, as Norway is a “red country” on the US list.
Trump voters want shale oil
In the televised debate between Trump and Biden last Thursday, the president claimed that Biden would ban “fracking”, or extraction of shale oil and shale gas in the United States.
In the state of Pennsylvania, 32,000 people work in this part of the economy, and Norwegian Equinor is an operator in the giant Marcellus field. It extends across several states in the United States.
Bryan is one of the few in the queue outside the polling station to vote for Trump. He cites Biden’s opposition to “fracking” as the main reason.
– The bite will destroy the country. He has admitted that he wants to ban “fracking”. In addition, he wants to increase taxes and take away our weapons, says Bryan.
Biden: – I do not want to ban “fracking”
At a “public meeting,” with the audience in cars, in Pennsylvania today, Biden repeated that he not will ban the extraction of oil and gas from shale. He wants to ban new fields on “land owned by federal authorities.” It is something completely different and much less intrusive.
He said the same thing during the debate on Thursday, but Trump would not listen to that ear.
Because he knows that Biden has a problem with the left in the party. They want to completely ban “fracking”, and previously also vice presidential candidate Kamala Harris was for a ban.
There are several reports that “fracking” has polluted drinking water and contributed to increased emissions of the greenhouse gas methane.
During the presidential debate on Thursday, Biden said that he will phase out the production of all fossil energy by 2050. He also pointed out that there are great opportunities for American business in environmentally friendly energy production.
But for voters in the rust belt, this is meager comfort. It is unlikely that new “green” companies will establish themselves here.
Caruso warns with Hitler
– Biden is a guy who knows us. He knows who we are, how anxious people are for the economic situation and the social consequences. Families are falling apart as a result of unemployment here in Lucerne, says Bob Caruso.
He trusts that Biden will not make the situation even worse. He also believes that many are afraid of four new years with Trump. Surrounded by several well-adult voters, he gives a small history lesson.
– We saw in 1932 how the conservatives in supported Hitler. They thought it was okay. They would get their tax breaks, more industrial production. But they quickly repented. The chances of Trump winning are small, but real, Caruso concludes.
But according to website 538, Biden’s lead in the polls has shrunk by 1.4 percentage points in the last two weeks here in Pennsylvania. He currently leads with 5.8 percent.
These were the details of the news – Biden is not Kennedy – but he is like vanilla... for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at time24.news and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.