A week after the murder of two brothers aged 2 and 5, sadness and solidarity still envelop the community of Wendake, in the Quebec region, where about 350 residents, relatives and friends of the family held a commemorative march in their honor.
• Read also: Drama in Wendake: “I have no words to express my son’s gesture”
• Read also: Desolation in Wendake: the suffering of a mother
Prayers, songs and dances colored the citizens’ march which was held in a residential area in the north of the indigenous village, about 1.5 km from where the bodies of the two children were found lifeless.
“The objective is to dismantle our support and our support for the family. We wanted to show them that the community is behind them and that we support them. Everyone was shocked by this tragedy, even if it is not directly our family or our relatives, ”explained one of the organizers, Jennifer O’Bomsawin.
The initiative of three citizens of Wendake also made it possible to underline the memory of two other children of 13 months and 11 years who also lived in Wendake and who lost their lives a year ago.
“It is a very precious moment within the nation to reflect and at the same time walk for hope and unity,” said Konrad Sioui, Grand Chief of the Huron-Wendat nation.
Even though the victims were not from these people, the October 11 tragedy caused a real commotion in Wendake. The incomprehension is all the greater since reports had been lodged with the DPJ before the tragedy.
Sunday, however, no demands were on the agenda. “This part does not belong to us. It is really support and support that we wanted to show, ”said Ms. O’Bomsawin.
“It hurt a lot and I cried a lot. I am here to support families. We have to be united together if we want to remain united in our communities, not just among the First Nations, but with Quebecers as well, ”said a resident of Wendake who took part in the march.
A lifelong resident of Loretteville, a neighboring district, the federal deputy for Louis-Saint-Laurent, Gérard Deltell, says that the events have affected him “directly”.
“You tell yourself that it can’t happen in our corner, but yes, it does happen in our corner, so it is in support of the survivors, to the mother among others”, he declared.
For his part, Konrad Sioui is optimistic that all light will be shed on the sad events and is “satisfied” by the inquiries announced so far.
No less than four entities are looking into the case: the police and a coroner, but also the Commission des droits de la personne et des droits de la jeunesse and an external investigation chaired by criminologist Michelle Dionne.
“These are short-term surveys and that’s what we need. Major inquiries like the Royal Commission [sur les peuples autochtones] that I experienced, which is still shelved after 25 years … we need surveys that will give results quickly and then answers quickly, ”says Mr. Sioui.
It should be remembered that a surge of solidarity has so far made it possible to raise more than $ 22,000 on the Gofundme digital platform to help bereaved families and avoid them financial stress.
The main suspect, Michaël Chicoine, 30, is charged with second degree murder. A publication ban protects the identity of victims and prevents it from being specified whether they have a connection to the accused.
Chicoine had been known to the CIUSSS de la Capitale-Nationale since 2013, according to documents obtained by The newspaper a few days ago. Followed up for mental health problems, he would not always have followed up on the interventions offered to him.
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!
These were the details of the news [PHOTOS] Wendake drama: tribute to the deceased little brothers for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at en24news and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.