Libyan protesters abducted during Tripoli demonstrations

Thank you for your reading and interest in the news Libyan protesters abducted during Tripoli demonstrations and now with details

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - Libyan militias kidnapped several protesters after opening fire on a demonstration in Tripoli against economic conditions and corruption, Libya's UN-recognised government in Tripoli said on Thursday.

Amnesty International said least six protesters were abducted when armed men, apparently allied with the Government of National Accord, fired live ammunition to disperse a demonstration in the capital on Sunday.

The GNA said an investigation had been opened after the militias, which it did not name, abducted some of the protesters. The Interior Ministry acknowledged that a Tripoli-allied militia fired live ammunition at peaceful protesters.

Libyans chant slogans during a demonstration due to poor public services at the Martyrs' Square at the centre of the GNA-held Libyan capital. AFP

Libya, which sits atop Africa's largest proven crude oil reserves, has endured almost a decade of violent chaos since the 2011 Nato-supported. AFP

The war-weary country is plagued by water shortages and power blackouts that snuff out air-conditioners in the searing summer heat. AFP

The deplorable situation has been compounded by the novel coronavirus pandemic, which has depressed global oil prices and spread in the country despite social distancing measures. AFP

Libyans chant slogans during a demonstration due to poor public services at the Martyrs' Square at the centre of the GNA-held Libyan capital Tripoli. AFP

Libyans chant slogans during a demonstration due to poor public services at the Martyrs' Square at the centre of the GNA-held Libyan capital Tripoli. AFP

The protesters in Tripoli “did not obtain necessary permits" for the rally, GNA Prime Minister Fayez Al Sarraj said on Monday as demonstrations continued in the capital and western Libyan towns.

In a meeting with military and security officials on Wednesday, Mr Al Sarraj described the demonstrations as “riots” and announced a 24-hour curfew lasting four days that he said was to contain the spread of coronavirus.

Protesters defied the curfew and took to the streets of Tripoli again late on Wednesday, footage circulated online showed. A protester told Associated Press that militiamen opened fire again at Martyrs Square, the scene of Sunday’s attack.

Amnesty said several protesters were wounded in the shooting on Sunday, which happened in an area under control of the Nawasi militia that nominally operates under the GNA.

Citing eyewitness accounts and its Nawasi contacts, Amnesty said there were “strong indications that this militia was behind the attack” on the protesters.

Diana Eltahawy, Amnesty’s deputy regional director, criticised Mr Al Sarraj's government for not reining in "abusive, unaccountable militias and armed groups" and instead “relying on them for security, law enforcement and fighting its rivals”.

She called for the immediate release of those abducted and an independent investigation.

The UN Support Mission in Libya on Sunday called for "those arrested to be handed over to relevant judicial institutions and for those who are arbitrarily detained to be released immediately".

The protests over poor living conditions, shortages of electricity and water and a lack of services began days after the GNA called for a halt to fighting between its forces and those allied to a rival administration in eastern Libya.

In a statement issued on Friday, Mr Al Sarraj also called for the demilitarisation of the central coastal city of Sirte, currently held by the Libyan National Army led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar.

An LNA spokesman on Sunday dismissed the ceasefire offer, saying warships sent by GNA ally Turkey were approaching Sirte to support an attack by Tripoli-allied militias.

Updated: August 27, 2020 02:46 PM

These were the details of the news Libyan protesters abducted during Tripoli demonstrations for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at The National and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Italy foreign minister urges ‘immediate ceasefire’ in Gaza
NEXT Italy foreign minister urges ‘immediate ceasefire’ in Gaza