Beirut port '100 per cent operational' after explosion

Beirut port '100 per cent operational' after explosion
Beirut port '100 per cent operational' after explosion

Thank you for your reading and interest in the news Beirut port '100 per cent operational' after explosion and now with details

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - Import and export activities at Beirut port have fully recovered from the deadly blast on August 4 that killed more than 180 people and destroyed its giant grain silos, the newly appointed director of Beirut port Bassem Al Qaisi told The National on Wednesday.

“We are in operation 100 per cent. By this, I mean loading and unloading containers and the import and export of containers and general cargo,” he said.

But storage capacity is only at 40 per cent of what it was before the explosion, which completely destroyed the port’s warehouses, said Mr Al Qaisi. A further year is needed for the storage area to be fully operation again.

“The reason that it will take a year is that there is a lot of foreign aid and donations which will take some time. We also have to hire contractors to build warehouses and launch tenders,” he said.

“We are really focusing on putting the port back on its feet because there is a lot of damage on the logistics buildings in the free zone and in administrative buildings. There are no warehouses for dry goods. We need a fire station and a water tank. Such issues take time,” he said.

A former member of the port’s board of directors, Mr Al Qaisi was appointed for six months on August 11 after his predecessor was arrested as part of a local investigation into the blast.

Smashed cars and imported goods, including clothes, salt, and perfumes, are still strewn on the ground a few hundred metres from the explosion site. Since August 14, the Lebanese army has received support from the French army to clear the zone.

“We cleared 8,000 tonnes of debris in the past five days. That’s the equivalent of the Eiffel Tower,” Lieutenant Paulin, a French officer co-ordinating clearing operations at the port, said on Wednesday morning.

“Our objective is that in four days, there are no more warehouses,” he said.

The Tonnerre, a French amphibious helicopter carrier, arrived in Beirut recently with dozens of trucks and heavy machinery to clear the debris.

The blast, one of the largest in recent history, levelled entire sectors of the port, created a 43-metre-deep crater that was covered by the sea, and sent a shockwave that damaged property and injured people several miles away.

Beirut port unloaded 78,000 tonnes of grain, flour, wheat and corn between August 11 and August 23, said Mr Al Qaisi. “The government is focusing on food security,” he said.

Custom figures show that 75 per cent of Lebanese imports transit through Beirut port.

“Nobody expected that after 72 hours, Beirut would receive containers, and general cargo, and loading and unloading. We were able to put the port back on its feet because the great Lebanese army helped us clean the keys and sites and gave us all the support needed. In parallel, we repaired a lot of equipment, including mobiles cranes,” said Mr Al Qaisi.

Updated: August 26, 2020 10:31 PM

These were the details of the news Beirut port '100 per cent operational' after explosion for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at The National and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

NEXT Italy foreign minister urges ‘immediate ceasefire’ in Gaza