Venezuela court jails two US ex-soldiers for 20 years after failed incursion

Venezuela court jails two US ex-soldiers for 20 years after failed incursion
Venezuela court jails two US ex-soldiers for 20 years after failed incursion

Thank you for reading the news about Venezuela court jails two US ex-soldiers for 20 years after failed incursion and now with the details

Jeddah - Yasmine El Tohamy - CARACAS: A Venezuelan court sentenced two former US soldiers to 20 years in prison for their role in a failed incursion aimed at ousting President Nicolas Maduro in early May, chief prosecutor Tarek Saab said late on Friday.
Former Green Berets Luke Denman, 34, and Airan Berry, 41, admitted to participating in the May 4 operation, Saab wrote on his Twitter account.
“Said gentlemen ADMITTED to having committed the crimes,” he wrote, adding that the trials were ongoing for dozens of others captured.
Denman and Berry were charged with conspiracy, terrorism and illicit weapons trafficking, Saab wrote.
Alfonso Medina, a lawyer for the two, said their legal team was not allowed into the courtroom. The two men were not available for comment.
The sea incursion launched from Colombia, known as Operation Gideon, left at least eight dead.
Maduro’s government said it arrested a group of conspirators that included Denman and Berry near the isolated coastal town of Chuao.
US special forces veteran Jordan Goudreau, who ran Silvercorp USA, a private Florida-based security firm, has claimed responsibility for the raid.
Denman appeared in a video on Venezuelan state TV days after their capture, saying they had been contracted by Silvercorp USA to train 50 to 60 Venezuelans in Colombia, seize control of Caracas’ airport and bring in a plane to fly Maduro to the United States.
Opposition leader Juan Guaido’s office said Guaido had known about the operation since October, but did not finance or order it.
Maduro, who describes Guaido as a Washington puppet, has said that President Donald ’s government backed the operation.
The Trump administration has denied any direct involvement. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said the US government would use “every tool” to secure the US citizens’ return. 

These were the details of the news Venezuela court jails two US ex-soldiers for 20 years after failed incursion for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Arab News and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

NEXT Migrants hoping to reach EU stranded in Bosnian woods as cold sets in