Seattle police clearing out ‘lawless and brutal’ protest zone

Seattle police clearing out ‘lawless and brutal’ protest zone
Seattle police clearing out ‘lawless and brutal’ protest zone

Hello and welcome to the details of Seattle police clearing out ‘lawless and brutal’ protest zone and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - A car with several broken windows and a broken bumper sits at the CHOP (Capitol Hill Organized Protest) area behind duct tape after involvement in a fatal shooting as people occupy space in the aftermath of the death in Minneapolis police custody of George Floyd, in Seattle, Washington, US June 29, 2020. — Reuters pic

SEATTLE, July 1 — Seattle police were working to clear out a protest zone in the city that has become “lawless and brutal” after weeks of violence, including four shootings and the deaths of two teenagers, the city’s police chief said today.

Officers, wearing extra protective gear, entered the city’s “autonomous zone” early today and have so far arrested 13 people, according to the police department’s Twitter feed. They observed vehicles circling the area carrying passengers with firearms and armour, although there were no reports of violence, it said.

The move to retake the zone came after Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan declared the gathering of people in and around the police department’s East Precinct and Cal Anderson Park an “unlawful assembly,” the police chief, Carmen Best, said in a statement.

The precinct was abandoned weeks ago after protesters clashed with police outside the station house in the wake of the May 25 killing of George Floyd, a Black man, at the hands of Minneapolis police. Floyd’s death triggered a nationwide wave of demonstrations against racial injustice and police brutality, giving rise to the Capitol Hill Occupied Protest (CHOP) zone east of downtown Seattle.

“The CHOP has become lawless and brutal. Four shootings — two fatal — robberies, assaults, violence and countless property crimes have occurred in this several-block area,” Best said in a statement.

President Donald has been demanding that Washington state and Seattle take action to eject the protesters, calling them “domestic terrorists,” but city authorities had until today taken a non-confrontational approach. 

Seattle’s bicycle police employed about three dozen of their bikes to create a barricade at East Pike and 12th Avenue, shutting off the previously occupied zone to allow Department of Transportation crews to take down protesters’ tents.

Dozens of police cruisers lined surrounding streets, as uniformed officers stood guard, some sipping Starbucks’ coffee. Small groups of people, at least one carrying a tent, milled about nearby but it was not immediately clear whether they were bystanders or protesters.

“Officers continue to give dispersal orders and are checking Cal Anderson restrooms,” the police department said. “Thank you to the individuals affiliated with the CHOP who have assisted officers in encouraging people to safely leave the area.”

As evidence of the recent violence, Seattle police posted an open-source video showing men brandishing handguns and audio clips in which gunfire was heard. One clip showed an apparent gunshot victim slumped in a car seat, with the window blown out.

The zone has diminished in size and scope over the past several days. Crowds that came by the thousands to listen to speeches about police brutality and marvel at street art commemorating black lives have disappeared, as have medic stations and multiple free food tents.

Businesses in the area, a trendy neighbourhood of hipster bars and boutiques, have been pushing for the authorities to take a tougher stance. Attorneys have filed two class action lawsuits against the City of Seattle, including one aimed at preventing city and state leaders from allowing the establishment of any future “lawless autonomous zones.” — Reuters

These were the details of the news Seattle police clearing out ‘lawless and brutal’ protest zone for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Beirut explosion: Humanitarian agencies send 40 tonnes of aid from Dubai base
NEXT British MP Craig Whittaker accused of racism after blaming Muslims and minorities for new coronavirus lockdown