Belgian king expresses ‘deepest regrets’ over DR Congo colonial past

Belgian king expresses ‘deepest regrets’ over DR Congo colonial past
Belgian king expresses ‘deepest regrets’ over DR Congo colonial past

Hello and welcome to the details of Belgian king expresses ‘deepest regrets’ over DR Congo colonial past and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - In this file photo taken on April 24, 2018 King Philippe of Belgium speaks during the opening session of the 72nd High-level Meeting on Peacebuilding and Sustaining Peace at United Nations Headquarters in New York. — AFP pic

BRUSSELS, June 30 — Belgium’s King Philippe expressed his “deepest regrets” today for the harm done during Belgian colonial rule in DR Congo, in a first for his country.

Philippe, who has reigned since 2013, made his remarks in a letter to the president of the Democratic Republic of Congo, Felix Tshisekedi, on the the 60th anniversary of Congo’s independence on June 30, 1960.

The death of African American George Floyd last month as he was being arrested by police in the US city of Minneapolis has stoked fresh debate in Belgium over its colonial record.

“I want to express my deepest regrets for these wounds of the past whose pain is reawakened today by the discrimination still present in our societies,” Philippe said.

Historians say that millions of Africans from areas in what is now the Democratic Republic of Congo were killed, mutilated or died of disease as they worked on rubber plantations belonging to Belgium’s King Leopold II.

‘Suffering and humiliation’

Philippe, without mentioning Leopold by name, said that during this period “acts of violence and cruelty were committed which weigh on our collective memory.”

“The colonial period which followed (1908-60) also caused suffering and humiliation,” he said.

Philippe said he would combat all forms of racism and said he wanted to encourage the reflection on the issue begun by the Belgian parliament so that such memories could be put to rest.

Several statues of Leopold, who ruled between 1865 and 1909, have been daubed with paint or torn down by protesters in Belgium in recent weeks, and a petition has been launched for their removal.

Today, the city of Ghent will mark the 60th anniversary of Congolese independence by removing a statue of Leopold.

The French-speaking daily Le Soir welcomed the royal intervention in an editorial: “Finally, this gesture, so necessary, which lifts the King and his country.”

Through concession companies, Leopold II used forced labour to extract rubber in Congo, among other things.

Harsh treatment — up to the cutting off of hands for unproductive workers — have been documented.

According to most historians the violence did not stop after Leopold II, and a regime of strict separation of blacks and whites, comparable to the apartheid of South Africa, was maintained for decades.

“We have heard of the famous ‘benefits of civilisation’ brought by the Belgians,” Romain Landmeters, a researcher at the University Saint-Louis in Brussels, told AFP.

“But between the roads, hospitals, schools, we know that everything that was built was essentially intended to serve this system of extraction and production of wealth for the settlers,” he said. — AFP

These were the details of the news Belgian king expresses ‘deepest regrets’ over DR Congo colonial past for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Sudan criminalises female genital mutilation
NEXT Police: Teen killed in suspected shark attack off Australian coast