24 babies, pregnant teens freed from Nigeria ‘baby factory’

24 babies, pregnant teens freed from Nigeria ‘baby factory’
24 babies, pregnant teens freed from Nigeria ‘baby factory’

Hello and welcome to the details of 24 babies, pregnant teens freed from Nigeria ‘baby factory’ and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Nigerian police rescued 24 babies and four expectant mothers from an illegal maternity home. — Reuters file pic

LAGOS, Feb 27 — Nigerian police have rescued 24 babies and four expectant mothers from an illegal maternity home in the southern oil city of Port Harcourt, a spokesman said today.

“In a covert operation on Tuesday, our men burst a child trafficking syndicate at Woji in Port Harcourt where 24 babies between the ages of one and two, and four pregnant teenagers were rescued,” Nnamdi Omoni told AFP.

He said the victims were looking “frail and malnourished” and had been hospitalised while investigations were ongoing to find those responsible for the facility.

Police raids on illegal maternity units — dubbed “baby factories” — have been relatively common in Nigeria, especially in the south.

The “factories” are usually small facilities parading as private medical clinics that house pregnant women and offer their babies for sale. In some cases, young women have allegedly been held against their will and raped, with their newborns sold on the black market.

But security services say many cases have seen unmarried women with unplanned pregnancies arrive voluntarily or through persuasion.

Baby boys are typically sold for 500,000 naira (RM5900) while girls fetch 300,000 naira, police have said in previous cases.

Oil-rich Nigeria boasts one of Africa’s largest economies, but it has more people living in extreme poverty than any other nation in the world. — AFP

These were the details of the news 24 babies, pregnant teens freed from Nigeria ‘baby factory’ for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Family killed in Israeli airstrike against Syria
NEXT India's foreign ministry launches app to connect to citizens abroad