UK: Passengers from coronavirus-hit ship taken into quarantine

UK: Passengers from coronavirus-hit ship taken into quarantine
UK: Passengers from coronavirus-hit ship taken into quarantine

Thank you for your reading and interest in the news UK: Passengers from coronavirus-hit ship taken into quarantine and now with details

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - British and Irish nationals brought home from a coronavirus-stricken cruise ship have been taken into quarantine in northern England.

Thirty Britons and two Irish citizens were brought to Arrowe Park hospital after they left Japan late on Friday evening.

The groups has, so far, tested negative for the virus.

They arrived at the quarantine hospital, where they will stay for the next two weeks, on Saturday evening, the BBC reported.

The UK nationals were on the cruise ship, the Diamond Princess, when it was taken into quarantine 16 days ago.

In excess of 620 people on board the vessel tested positive for the virus. The cruise ship carried the largest cluster of cases outside China.

Some of the passengers had already been evacuated over the past seven days, taking flights to Hong Kong organised by Chinese authorities.

“We have brought 32 British and European citizens safely home from Japan,” the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office said in statement.

“Our number one priority has consistently been the health and safety of UK nationals,” the statement added.

Britain’s NHS is reportedly developing plans to test individuals for the coronavirus at home at.

If the virus begins to spread in the UK as it has elsewhere, it is hoped that by testing individuals at homes hospitals and doctors’ offices will not become hotspots for disease transmission.

A version of the initiative is being piloted in London, where tests are being carried out by nurses and paramedics. The NHS is planning to expand the scheme outside of London in the coming weeks.

Since the coronavirus emerged in December, the new coronavirus has killed 2,345 people in China, the epicentre of the epidemic, and at least 17 elsewhere in the world.

World Health Organization officials have said that China's crackdown on parts of the country bought time for the rest of the world to prepare for the new virus. But as hot spots emerge around the globe, including in South Korea and Iran, there has been trouble finding the first patient who sparked each new cluster.

Elsewhere in Europe, Italy has said a second person has died from the virus. The woman living in the northern region of Lombardy lost her life one day after a 78-year-old man died.

A dozen towns in northern Italy effectively went into lockdown Saturday after the deaths.

The secondary contagions prompted local authorities in the Lombardy and Veneto regions to close schools, businesses and restaurants and to cancel sporting events and Masses. The mayor of Milan, Italy's business capital and the regional capital of Lombardy, shuttered public offices.

Hundreds of residents and workers who came into contact with 54 people who tested positive for the virus in Italy were put into isolation pending results of their tests. Civil protection crews set up a tent camp outside a closed hospital in Veneto to screen medical staff for the virus.

A dozen towns in northern Italy effectively went into lockdown Saturday after the deaths.

Updated: February 23, 2020 03:54 AM

These were the details of the news UK: Passengers from coronavirus-hit ship taken into quarantine for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at The National and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

NEXT Sahel allies have ‘shifted the dynamic’ in fight with extremists: Macron