Mike Pompeo: Week-long reduction in Afghan violence is an 'important step'

Thank you for your reading and interest in the news Mike Pompeo: Week-long reduction in Afghan violence is an 'important step' and now with details

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that a new truce with the Taliban is "an important step" after Afghanistan’s National Security Council (NSC) confirmed that a reduction in violence throughout the country will start at midnight on Friday.

Jawed Faisal, the NSC’s spokesperson, said that the violence reduction “begins on Saturday at 12am,” adding that “we hope that the Taliban will reduce violence as per the commitments.”

The US and the Taliban have agreed to a seven-day reduction in violence ahead of signing a peace deal, which will pave the way to end America’s longest war in history - and almost two decades of US forces in Afghanistan.

"After decades of conflict, we have come to an understanding with the Taliban on a significant reduction in violence across Afghanistan. This is an important step on a long road to peace and I call on all Afghans to seize this opportunity," Mr Pompeo said in a post on social media.

While a vague term, the agreement means that the Taliban will not launch attacks in cities, on highways or against US bases, as well as the Afghan National Defence and Security Forces. The US will monitor developments throughout the next seven days.

Afghanistan’s capital Kabul remained quiet after today’s announcement.

President Donald with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen Mark Milley addresses members of the military during a surprise Thanksgiving Day visit at Bagram Air Field, Afghanistan. AP

Trump's visit to Bagram Airfield outside Kabul was brief. Reuters

President Donald Trump said o the US had resumed talks with Taliban insurgents as he made a surprise trip to Afghanistan to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday with troops. Reuters

A US soldier looks through night vision goggles while riding with the Presidential Motorcade. Reuters

US President Donald Trump shakes hands with Joint Chiefs Chairman General Mark Milley before addressing the troops at Bagram Air Field during a surprise Thanksgiving day visitin Afghanistan. AFP

On a brief visit to Bagram Airfield outside the capital Kabul, Mr Trump served turkey dinner to soldiers, posed for photographs and delivered a speech. AFP

Afghan's President Ashraf Ghani shakes hands with US President Donald Trump. AFP

Soldiers take pictures of US President Donald Trump. AFP

About 13,000 US troops remain in Afghanistan, 18 years after the United States invaded after the September 11, 2001 attacks. Trump said he planned to reduce the number to 8,600 without giving further details.

US President Donald Trump poses for selfies. AFP

US President Donald Trump serves Thanksgiving dinner. AFP

President Donald Trump, left, listens as Afghan President Ashraf Ghani. AP

President Donald Trump speaks during a surprise Thanksgiving Day visit to the troops at Bagram Air Field, Afghanistan. AP

U.S. President Donald Trump eats dinner with US troops. AP

If successful, the signing of the peace deal will see the beginning of US troop withdrawal. It will also trigger direct talks between the Taliban and the US-backed Afghan government in an effort to secure lasting peace.

On Tuesday, President Ashraf Ghani was confirmed for another five-year term, although his election came amid challenges from his main rival Dr Abdullah Abdullah, who also claimed victory.

While a full ceasefire for the week couldn’t be secured, all parties agreed to a significant reduction in fighting.

The US stated that it has enough surveillance to monitor the Taliban’s adherence to the agreement.

The US still has between 12,000-13,000 troops in Afghanistan, but a peace deal could see numbers drop to an initial 8,600, with further withdrawal over the next three to five years.

Last year saw the highest number of civilian casualties since the beginning of the war in 2001. The US launched more than 7,000 airstrikes in 2019 alone, while armed insurgents, including the Taliban, staged around 25,000 attacks.

The Taliban continues to control more than half of the country, and an eventual deal between the Afghan government and the Taliban would see the group become part of the government.

The US and the Taliban have been negotiating a deal for the past year, with President Donald Trump abruptly cancelling talks last September, after a Taliban attack killed an American soldier and eleven Afghan civilians. In November, a surprise thanksgiving visit by Trump to Afghanistan put negotiations back on the table.

But while any reduction in violence is a crucial step to the signing of a US-Taliban peace deal, it is the least important part of the agreement, states Jarrett Blanc, a senior fellow at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace and long-term Afghanistan expert. “The intra-Afghan talks remain the hard part,” he said. “Neither the Taliban nor the government and legitimate opposition have a realistic agenda for those talks

Updated: February 21, 2020 03:23 PM

These were the details of the news Mike Pompeo: Week-long reduction in Afghan violence is an 'important step' for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at The National and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Germany has only a few hundred doses of remdesivir, says health minister
NEXT Sahel allies have ‘shifted the dynamic’ in fight with extremists: Macron