New 'mercy flight' leaves Sanaa: WHO

New 'mercy flight' leaves Sanaa: WHO
New 'mercy flight' leaves Sanaa: WHO

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details New 'mercy flight' leaves Sanaa: WHO in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - DUBAI — A second medical evacuation flight carrying 24 critically ill Yemenis left the rebel-held capital Sanaa on Saturday, the World Health Organization said.

"The flight just took off from Sanaa headed to Amman," a WHO spokesperson told AFP.

The plane was carrying men, women and children in need of medical treatment, along with their companions, the spokesperson added.

The flight had been due to leave Sanaa on Friday but was rescheduled for "technical reasons," according to the WHO.

A first "mercy flight" evacuated seven children from Sanaa on Monday for medical treatment in Jordan.

The United Nations is eager to build the necessary confidence between the warring parties in Yemen to enable more such evacuations.

The WHO said Friday it was "committed and working very hard to ensure these Yemeni patients receive the treatment they need."

A Saudi-led coalition that has been fighting in support of the beleaguered Yemeni government has kept Sanaa airport closed to commercial flights since 2016.

But in November, the coalition announced that it was prepared to allow medical evacuations from the airport as a confidence-building measure to support UN peace efforts.

"This is the first of what we hope will be a number of flights in the medical air bridge," the UN resident coordinator for Yemen, Lise Grande, told AFP after Monday's flight.

The reopening of Sanaa airport is a key demand of the Houthi rebels fighting the government and one of the issues being pursued by UN mediators as they seek to relaunch peace talks. — AFP


These were the details of the news New 'mercy flight' leaves Sanaa: WHO for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Thailand finds second coronavirus infection after long absence
NEXT Pompeo says US ‘deeply concerned’ over Turkey actions in east Med