Women spark anger for driving into Forbidden City

Women spark anger for driving into Forbidden City
Women spark anger for driving into Forbidden City

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details Women spark anger for driving into Forbidden City in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - BEIJING — One of China's top historic attractions issued an apology after two women drove an SUV into the Forbidden City in Beijing and posed for pictures when it was meant to be closed to the public.

Photos of the pair wearing sunglasses and standing in front of the luxury vehicle alone in a grand square usually packed with tourists quickly sparked outrage after they were posted on social media.

The sprawling, nearly 600-year-old former imperial palace in the center of the Chinese capital says it welcomed 19 million visitors last year, all of whom had to enter on foot.

In a statement the UNESCO world heritage site, also known as the Palace Museum, confirmed that the incident happened on Monday, a day it is usually shut.

"The Palace Museum is deeply shocked and sincerely apologizes to the public," it said late Friday on the Twitter-like platform Weibo, adding that it would "strictly manage and stop such actions" from taking place in future.

The controversial photos had been posted on Weibo this week but were swiftly deleted after sparking ire among users questioning how the women had entered the Forbidden City, which is very well guarded.

Many commenters expressed indignation at privileges and freebies perceived to be dished out to China's rich elites. "Such behavior is hurtful to the citizens," said one angry user.

"Even foreign leaders must get out of their vehicle" to visit the palace, noted another user called Maomao.

Footage of French President Emmanuel Macron and his wife Brigitte visiting the Forbidden Palace two years ago shows the leader touring the site on foot. — AFP


These were the details of the news Women spark anger for driving into Forbidden City for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV On coronavirus or conflict, UN struggles to remain relevant
NEXT Coronavirus on the rise in 37 US states as Florida reports 10,000 new cases