Thank you for your reading and interest in the news Yemen's Red Sea Mills closed again after Houthi shelling and now with details
Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - Yemen’s Houthi rebels have again shelled a vital grain storage facility in central Hodiedah, forcing work to temporarily close at the site and potentially jeopardising food aid to thousands of civilians.
The United Nation's World Food Programme said the mills, on the eastern edge of the strategically important port city, were hit on December 26.
"The milling of WFP wheat at the Red Sea Mills near Hodeidah has been temporarily halted after they were hit by artillery fire," a WFP spokesperson told The National.
They said that they do not know who was responsible for the attack, but Col Wathah Al Dubaish of the pro-government Joint Forces said it had been Houthi rebels.
“The rebels targeted the silos of the facility with mortar shell fired from a Houthi post in the centre of the city, the projectile caused a partial damage in one of the silos leading to a full halt in the grinding operations in the facility,” he said, adding that the shelling was intentional.
It comes amid tensions between the WFP and the rebels over the distribution of grain. The Houthi rebels have demanded the nearly 60,000 tons of grain be distributed by their committees in Hodeidah, which has been rejected by the WFP.
“The rebels deliberately pounded the facility, causing damage to some of the silos and to about 5,000 tonnes of wheat,” Col Al Dubaish said. He said the facility had been fully operational with nearly 200 staff working to process and prepare grain for distribution by the WFP.
Last summer, the Mills' grain storage was closed for several weeks as Houthi rebels fought with pro-government militias. The rebels shelled the site, causing damage, and preventing aid agencies reaching the stores to distribute aid. Tons of grain rotted during the fighting, exacerbating the already dire situation in the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.
“The assaults prove that the Houthi militia doesn’t care about the worsening humanitarian situation in the country and put its interests ahead of the suffering of the Yemeni people,” Col Al Dubaish said.
Furthermore, residents of the port city said that the last Houthi assault on the Red Sea Mills has caused worry about food shortages.
“Nobody can feel our suffering, we mostly depend on the food aid that we receive from the relief organisations and we were waiting for the WFP to distribute the wheat stock stored in the mills facility at the beginning of the new year,” a resident of the city said on condition of anonymity.
“We were shocked to hear that the silos had broken down after the shelling, that means no wheat will be distributed and our situation will get worse and worse.”
They said they believe the Houthis wanted to take the wheat and distribute it so that they can take “the lion’s share for their followers and sell a part of it on the black market".
The UN has threatened previously to suspend aid shipments after accusing militias of confiscating and selling aid.
Yemen’s Information Minister Moammar Al Eryani condemned the attack in a statement on Twitter. He pointed out that it came just after UN-mediated talks aboard an international ship off the coast of Hodeidah over the situation in the city and the deployment of joint observers to oversee a ceasefire.
“The attack confirms the Houthis' disavowal of their obligations and the continuing ceasefire violations that undermine the efforts to implement the Sweden agreement,” Mr Al Eryani said.
Last December, the government and rebels agreed to a ceasefire in the city and for forces to withdraw, handing control to local security. The UN would then have overseen shipments of aid through the port.
However, a year after the deal was signed, it has still not been fully implemented, although there has been a reduction in fighting.
The Houthi militia has increasingly been targeting residential areas in the south of the city with mortars and snipers in recent weeks.
"On Saturday, local resident Dawood Mohammed Hasan, 45, was killed when a Houthi sniper shot him dead in front of his home in southern Hodeidah,” a military source in Al Amalikah brigades said.
Updated: December 30, 2019 04:39 PM
These were the details of the news Yemen's Red Sea Mills closed again after Houthi shelling for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at The National and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.