Libya PM slams Haftar threat to resume Tripoli offensive

Thank you for reading the news about Libya PM slams Haftar threat to resume Tripoli offensive and now with the details

Aden - Yasmine El Tohamy - Prime Minister Fayez Sarraj on Friday shrugged off threats by his rival made the previous day that the battle to capture Tripoli has entered the "zero hour".

Sarraj called on Libyans to rally around him in the defense of the nation.

Haftar had previously declared his self-styled Libyan National Army (LNA) was waging a final, "decisive battle" to take Tripoli from Sarraj's UN-supported government. "The zero hour has ticked," the warlord said in a televised speech on Thursday evening.

Since 2015, war-torn Libya has been divided between two governments, the Haftar-led one in the eastern city of Tobruk and the Government of National Accord (GNA) in the west, based in Tripoli and supported by the UN, as well as Italy, Turkey and Qatar.

In-depth: Turkish-Libyan alliance in eastern Mediterranean: A game changer?

Haftar's forces, backed by Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Russia and France, launched a push on the capital in April.

After nearly eight months of fighting, Khalifa's forces have failed to take Tripoli as they are in stalemate on the city's southern edges. 

At least 200 civilians and more than 2,000 fighters have been killed since the start of Haftar's Tripoli push, according to the United Nations. The fighting has also displaced 146,000 people.

Following an EU summit in Brussels, the leaders of France, Germany and Italy urged all sides in the Libyan conflict to cease fighting. Emmanuel Macron, Angela Merkel and Giuseppe Conte said stability in Libya "can only be achieved through a political solution".

Although they did not mention Haftar by name, the timing of their statement seemed to be in a response to Haftar's declaration of war.

"They reaffirmed their full support for the United Nations and the work of the Special Representative of the Secretary General, Ghassan Salame, as lasting peace and stability in Libya can only be achieved through a political solution," the statement said.

Merkel told reporters it was "clear at this point that Libya is quite a proxy war".

"None of the parties there can act alone under their own steam, and that's why we feel called upon to move forward politically as quickly as possible," she said.

In a video posted on the Libyan government's page, Sarraj dismissed Hafter's claim about a new push as "lies" and "delusions" and said his forces have already "taught the invaders a lesson."

"I call upon you to rally around the project of a civil state and to show faith in our right to build a state, based on institutions, the rule of law and liberties," Sarraj said. "Libya can only end up as an oasis for freedom and democracy."

Comment: Could Turkey-Libya maritime pact lead to an energy showdown in the Med?

Since the fighting erupted, Sarraj has portrayed himself as a democratic leader who strives to thwart his rival's alleged attempts to instate a military dictatorship in Libya. Meanwhile, Haftar has argued that his military operation seeks to purge the capital of radical militias allied with Sarraj's government.

The latest statements from Haftar and Sarraj come amid heightened tension between the two sides after Sarraj's government signed a security accord and maritime deal with Turkey last month. Earlier this week, Turkey's President Erdogan said the agreement gives his country the right to send troops to Libya to fend off Haftar's forces from Tripoli.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram to stay connected

These were the details of the news Libya PM slams Haftar threat to resume Tripoli offensive for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at The New Arab and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

NEXT UAE leaders congratulate Kuwait's new Emir, Sheikh Nawaf