Shastri: Forced break ‘welcome rest’ for India players

Shastri: Forced break ‘welcome rest’ for India players
Shastri: Forced break ‘welcome rest’ for India players

Thank you for your reading and interest in the news Shastri: Forced break ‘welcome rest’ for India players and now with details

Shastri
Aden - Yasmin Abdel Azim - Ravi Shastri is fond of a rest. Image Credit: Twitter

New Delhi: India head coach Ravi Shastri believes the forced break for the Indian players which has come due to the coronavirus pandemic is a “welcome rest” as they can now re-energise themselves.

Talking to Michael Atherton, Nasser Hussain and Rob Key on a Sky Sports podcast, Shastri said Indian players had started showing signs of mental fatigue after playing five T20Is, three ODIs and two Tests in New Zealand.

“It cannot be a bad thing because towards the end of the New Zealand tour, you could see some cracks coming up when it came to mental fatigue, physical fitness and injuries,” Shastri said.

“The amount of cricket we have played over the last 10 months, that was beginning to take its toll. Guys like me, and some other guys from the support staff, we left India on May 23 for the World Cup in England. Since then we have been at home for 10 or 11 days.

After the New Zealand tour, India were slated to play three ODIs against South Africa which were cancelled. Also, they were supposed to participate in a two-month long Indian Premier League (IPL), which has now been suspended until April 15.

“There are certain players who played all three formats, so you can imagine the toll it has taken on them, especially being on the field, adjusting from T20s to Test match cricket and all the travel that goes with that because we travelled quite a lot,” said Shastri.

“After England, we went to the West Indies, then played South Africa here. We had a season of two-and-a-half months here and then again went off to New Zealand. So, it has been tough but a welcome rest for players.”

India is currently under a 21-day lockdown which started on March 25. All sporting events have been postponed in the wake of novel coronavirus.

The Indian head coach further said that they had anticipated that such drastic measures would be taken and cricketing activities will be suspended for a while after the postponement of the ODI series against the Proteas. He also said that the Indian team were able to reach the homeland in the nick of time from New Zealand.

Shastri further said that in the present scenario, players should not focus about getting back on the field but take responsibility and spread awareness about this pandemic.

“As players, you have a lot of responsibility,” he said. “That’s why the message is very clear that cricket should be last on everyone’s mind now,” he said. “I think the most important thing is safety and not ensuring just your safety but ensuring safety others as well, by creating a kind of awareness that tells people there is something serious around.

“Virat has done it, a lot of other players have done it by posting certain messages on social media. So, it’s imperative but all the players were very, very calm. They knew that it’s something very serious and there could be a hold up in cricket for some time,” he added.

Cricketers, both past and present, have been urging people to stay indoors and adhere to the guidelines of the health authorities in order to stop the spread of coronavirus.

These were the details of the news Shastri: Forced break ‘welcome rest’ for India players for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Gulf News and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Thuram brace powers Gladbach to 4-1 victory over Berlin
NEXT Dortmund win as Bundesliga pays tribute to George Floyd