After Supreme Court ruling, Illinois governor seeks US$9b in tariff refunds from Trump

After Supreme Court ruling, Illinois governor seeks US$9b in tariff refunds from Trump
After Supreme Court ruling, Illinois governor seeks US$9b in tariff refunds from Trump

Hello and welcome to the details of After Supreme Court ruling, Illinois governor seeks US$9b in tariff refunds from and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - US President Donald Trump arrives for a press conference in the Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, yesterday. — AFP pic

Advertisements

WASHINGTON, Feb 21 — Governor JB Pritzker sent Donald Trump an invoice yesterday demanding nearly US$9 billion in tariff refunds for Illinois families after the US Supreme Court ruled the president’s much-touted tariffs are illegal.

Pritzker urged the White House to “cut the check” after justices ruled 6-3 that Trump had exceeded his authority by invoking emergency powers to impose tariffs that reshaped global trade and pushed up prices at home.

“Your tariff taxes wreaked havoc on farmers, enraged our allies and sent grocery prices through the roof,” the veteran Democrat wrote, warning that further legal action could follow if compensation was not forthcoming.

In the letter shared with US media, Pritzker demanded about US$1,700 for every Illinois household—the amount Yale University experts said the average US household would pay on tariffs last year.

Pritzker wasn’t alone in seeking payback—both political and literal—for widespread consumer woes.

Earlier Friday, California Governor Gavin Newsom said the money Trump’s tariffs had raised came from US voters’ pockets—and should be refunded.

“Time to pay the piper, Donald. These tariffs were nothing more than an illegal cash grab that drove up prices and hurt working families, so you could wreck longstanding alliances and extort them,” he said.

“Every dollar unlawfully taken must be refunded immediately - with interest. Cough up!”

Pritzker and Newsom are widely seen as a potential Democratic contenders in the 2028 presidential race.

Their demands add a populist flourish to a complicated legal and economic reality.

Announced with fanfare last April, Trump’s tariffs have raised more than US$130 billion from importers, with a significant proportion of that extra cost passed on to consumers through higher prices.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has expressed skepticism that ordinary Americans will see direct compensation.

The scale of potential repayments is vast. The influential Penn-Wharton Budget Model has estimated that refunds could total US$175 billion, though it’s unclear who would ultimately receive the money.

Trump himself acknowledged that any refund process could take years.

In his dissent, Trump-appointed conservative Justice Brett Kavanaugh noted Friday’s ruling “says nothing today about whether, and if so how, the government should go about returning the billions of dollars that it has collected from importers.”

New York’s Democratic governor, Kathy Hochul, called the Trump administration’s tariffs “an unlawful backdoor tax on hardworking families, farmers and small businesses, raising prices on everything from groceries to building materials”—without demanding refunds. — AFP

 

 

 

 

These were the details of the news After Supreme Court ruling, Illinois governor seeks US$9b in tariff refunds from Trump for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV US Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s global tariffs in 6-3 ruling, saying emergency law does not authorise duties
NEXT Trump says Iran is negotiating with US as tensions escalate and warships move into region

Author Information

I am Joshua Kelly and I focus on breaking news stories and ensuring we (“Al-KhaleejToday.NET”) offer timely reporting on some of the most recent stories released through market wires about “Services” sector. I have formerly spent over 3 years as a trader in U.S. Stock Market and is now semi-stepped down. I work on a full time basis for Al-KhaleejToday.NET specializing in quicker moving active shares with a short term view on investment opportunities and trends. Address: 838 Emily Drive Hampton, SC 29924, USA Phone: (+1) 803-887-5567 Email: [email protected]