LGBT+ campaigners in Georgia call off pride match after office attack

LGBT+ campaigners in Georgia call off pride match after office attack
LGBT+ campaigners in Georgia call off pride match after office attack

Hello and welcome to the details of LGBT+ campaigners in Georgia call off pride match after office attack and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - People dance in front of the parliament building as they celebrate after LGBT+ campaigners called off plans to stage the March for Dignity during Pride Week in Tbilisi, Georgia July 5, 2021. ― Reuters pic

MOSCOW, July 6 ― LGBT+ campaigners in Georgia called off a pride march yesterday after violent groups opposed to the event stormed and ransacked their office in the capital Tbilisi and targeted activists and journalists.

Activists launched five days of LGBT+ Pride celebrations last Thursday and had planned a “March for Dignity” yesterday in central Tbilisi, shrugging off criticism from the church and conservatives who said the event had no place in Georgia.

The march plan was disrupted on Monday by counter protesters before it could begin.

Video footage posted by LGBT+ activists showed protesters scaling their building to reach their balcony where they tore down rainbow flags and were seen entering the office of Tbilisi Pride.

Other footage showed a journalist with a bloodied mouth and nose and a man on a scooter driving at journalists in the street. Police said that more than 50 journalists had been targeted in the violence.

Campaigners said some of their equipment had been broken in the attack.

“No words can explain my emotions and thoughts right now. This is my working space, my home, my family today. Left alone in the face of gross violence,” LGBT activist Tamaz Sozashvili tweeted.

Media also reported that a tourist had been stabbed because he was allegedly wearing an earring.

The interior ministry, which said eight people were detained over the violence, had urged activists to abandon their march for security reasons. It said in a statement that various groups were gathering and protesting and that journalists had been targeted with violence.

“We once again publicly call on the participants of 'Tbilisi Pride' to refrain from the 'March of Dignity' ... due to the scale of counter-manifestations planned by opposing groups...” it said.

Several Western embassies in Georgia issued a joint statement condemning the attack and calling on authorities to ensure freedom of expression and assembly.

“Violence is simply unacceptable and cannot be excused,” the statement said.

President Salome Zourabichvili, who visited the injured journalist, said the violence was a “violation of the core fabric of Georgia”.

“What happened is not the Georgia I know,” Zourabichvili, who ran as an independent, wrote on Twitter. “It's not the Georgia based on its core values of tolerance.”

In the run-up, Prime Minister Irakli Garibashvili said he viewed the march as “not reasonable”, saying it risked causing public confrontation and that it was not acceptable to most Georgians, the Civil Georgia media outlet reported.

Rights campaigners condemned the violence and accused Garibashvili of having emboldened hate groups.

“Violent far-right crowds supported by (the) Church & emboldened by (an) incredibly irresponsible statement of PM (Garibashvili) gathered in Tbilisi center to prevent Pride March, attacking journalists & breaking into Pride office,” wrote Giorgi Gogia, who works for US-based Human Rights Watch. ― Reuters

These were the details of the news LGBT+ campaigners in Georgia call off pride match after office attack for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Outstanding sites added to UNESCO World Heritage List
NEXT Biden pressured to act on ‘Russian’ ransomware, hacking