Florida collapse toll now 24, rest of building to be razed soon

Florida collapse toll now 24, rest of building to be razed soon
Florida collapse toll now 24, rest of building to be razed soon

Hello and welcome to the details of Florida collapse toll now 24, rest of building to be razed soon and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Search and Rescue personnel work after the partial collapse of the 12-story Champlain Towers South condo building on June 24, 2021 in Surfside, Florida. — Getty Images via AFP

SURFSIDE, July 4 — Searchers recovered two more bodies to bring the death toll in the Florida apartment block collapse to 24, authorities said yesterday, as the search for victims paused in the afternoon so demolition crews could prepare to bring down the part of the building still standing.

The razing took on special urgency as Tropical Storm Elsa churned in the Caribbean, following a path expected to bring it to Florida early next week.

“Search and rescue does have to pause temporarily while the demolition preparation is underway. There is threat to the standing building that is posed to the first responders” as crews drill into columns of the damaged building, Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said.

“We will begin the search and rescue once again on any sections of the pile that are safe to access as soon as we’re cleared.”

Nine days after the collapse in the town of Surfside, 121 people are still listed as missing, Levine Cava said.

Hopes of finding anyone alive are fast diminishing.

Most of the 12-story Champlain Towers South building collapsed in the early hours of June 24, sending up a huge cloud of dust and rattling Americans unprepared for such a deadly urban disaster.

With Tropical Storm Elsa rumbling northward through the Caribbean, just shy of hurricane force — and headed, for now, straight for Florida — authorities are accelerating plans to demolish the remaining part of the structure.

Governor Ron DeSantis told reporters demolition work could be completed before Elsa arrives, probably on Tuesday.

Authorities had previously said the work could take weeks, but DeSantis, a Republican, said accelerating demolition was only prudent.

He said demolition could be completed within 36 hours — entailing “minimal work stoppage from the search and rescue teams” — and that work sifting through the existing debris could resume as soon as it is clear that no fires have erupted.

Miami-Dade fire chief Alan Cominsky said meanwhile several cases of Covid-19 had been detected in one team of searchers.

That team, he said, had been demobilised, and medical protocols put in place to isolate anyone affected. — AFP

These were the details of the news Florida collapse toll now 24, rest of building to be razed soon for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Blinken says Iran negotiating process cannot go on indefinitely
NEXT Deadly heat wave slams Canada, US