Hello and welcome to the details of Crews comb rubble of collapsed Florida condo, 99 unaccounted for and now with the details
SURFSIDE, June 25 — Rescue teams early today combed through the rubble of an oceanfront apartment block near Miami Beach that partially collapsed, killing at least one person and leaving another 99 unaccounted for amid fears of a much higher death toll.
An unknown number of residents are feared to have been asleep in the 12-story building, in the town of Surfside, when the collapse in the wee hours of yesterday morning reduced a large portion of it to a pile of debris, exposing the interiors of gutted apartments.
“One side of the building just fell completely. It doesn’t exist anymore,” said Nicolas Fernandez, 29, an Argentinian resident of Miami who had yet to hear from friends who were staying overnight in his family’s unit in the building.
“I don’t know about them. I don’t know if they are alive,” he told AFP.
Authorities said they were still without news of 99 people who may have been inside the building when part of it came crashing down.
So far 102 others have been accounted for, Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said.
Search and rescue teams with sniffer dogs were set to work through last night, Levine Cava said. “As the day comes to an end, their day does not,” she said at an evening news conference, the last until Friday morning.
During Friday’s early hours, President Joe Biden declared an emergency, ordering federal assistance for the local relief effort.
“The President’s action authorizes the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to coordinate all disaster relief efforts,” the White House said in a statement.
At a Surfside community center, relatives of the missing cried as they waited for news. Tenants of the ruined building who were lucky enough to have been away when disaster struck pondered sudden homelessness.
Erick de Moura, 40, happened to spend Wednesday night at his girlfriend’s house.
“I just came back and the scene is shocking,” he said. “There is a lot of pain. I’m blessed that I am alive.”
Around 55 apartments were affected by the collapse, according to Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Assistant Chief Ray Jadallah, who told a news conference that emergency services arrived at the scene at around 1:30 am, evacuating 35 people from the building.
The building was occupied by a mix of full-time and seasonal residents and renters, and officials have stressed it is unclear how many people were actually inside at the time.
“It’s hard to get a count on it,” Miami-Dade County Commissioner Sally Heyman told CNN.
“You don’t know between vacations or anything else,” she said. “The hope is still there, but it’s waning.”
‘Bracing for bad news’
Some residents were able to walk down the stairs to safety while others had to be rescued from their balconies.
One death was confirmed by Surfside mayor Charles Burkett, and Heyman said 14 survivors had been recovered from the rubble.
“It’s a really, really tragic situation so we’ll hope for the best in terms of additional recoveries, but we are bracing for some bad news just given the destruction that we’re seeing,” Governor Rob DeSantis told a news conference.
As hope receded of finding more survivors, the focus was on the recovery of possible victims amid the rubble, in a massive operation assisted by drones and dogs and involving dozens of police and firefighter units.
“Apparently when the building came down it pancaked, so there’s just not a lot of voids that they’re finding or seeing from the outside,” Burkett said on NBC’s Today show.
‘Like a bomb went off’
Surfside’s mayor said the reasons for the collapse were still unclear.
“It looks like a bomb went off, but we’re pretty sure a bomb didn’t go off, so it’s something else,” Burkett said.
Fernandez, the Argentinian resident of Miami, said that when his mother called him in the early hours to say the building had collapsed, he thought it was a joke — and hung up.
“She calls me again and tells me: ‘Nico, you know I would never joke about this. I need you to go over there.’ We came running.”
One witness, 25-year-old Julian Targowski, described the sound of the collapse.
“It was like a very bass-y, like boom boom, boom boom, that kind of thing,” he told local television WFOR.
“Like, a ton of bass on a subwoofer, basically, like just two of them,” he said. “Then my friend texted me that a building had exploded.”
Local media said records showed the block was built in 1981 and had more than 130 units inside.
Heyman told CNN the building had been undergoing construction work on its roof, although she also stressed the reasons for the collapse were not clear. — AFP
These were the details of the news Crews comb rubble of collapsed Florida condo, 99 unaccounted for for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.