UN chief calls for ‘unconditional release’ of abducted students in Nigeria

UN chief calls for ‘unconditional release’ of abducted students in Nigeria
UN chief calls for ‘unconditional release’ of abducted students in Nigeria

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details UN chief calls for ‘unconditional release’ of abducted students in Nigeria in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - NEW YORK — The UN chief on Friday, has strongly condemned the latest mass kidnapping of students in Nigeria, in the country’s northwestern region.

Late Thursday night, some 30 female and male students and as well as several school staff, were reportedly abducted by gunmen from the Federal College of Forestry Mechanization, just outside Kaduna city in the Igabi local government area — marking at least the fourth round of students kidnapped in the country since December.

While some of the students have reportedly been rescued by Nigerian security forces, Secretary-General António Guterres called for “the immediate and unconditional release of those students that remain in captivity”, his spokesperson, Stéphane Dujarric told journalist at a regular press briefing.

“The secretary-general underscores that schools must remain safe spaces for children to learn without fear of violence or kidnapping or any other attacks on them,” Dujarric continued, adding that “attacks on schools and other educational facilities constitute a grave violation of children’s rights and human rights more broadly.”

The UN chief “urges the authorities to safeguard schools and to ensure the right to education in a safe environment,” he said.

Students under siege

Last week, 279 schoolgirls were freed after being snatched from their boarding school at Jangebe, in northwest Nigeria's Zamfara state. Weeks before, dozens of children and staff were taken from a boarding school and in December, more than 300 boys were abducted.

Fears are growing that a so-called “kidnapping industry” is continuing to expand across northern Nigeria, and the country’s President Muhammadu Buhari was quoted in news reports this week, pledging to continue “working hard” to bring an end to the scourge.

In 2014, the extremist group Boko Haram’s attack on the Chibok secondary school in Borno state sparked international outcry and prompted the #BringBackOurGirls campaign. Of the 276 girls taken then, more than 100 are reportedly still missing nearly seven years later. — UN News


These were the details of the news UN chief calls for ‘unconditional release’ of abducted students in Nigeria for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV India driving global virus surge with more than 10k cases per hour
NEXT Youth join mainstream as India unveils development initiatives in Jammu and Kashmir