Hello and welcome to the details of Haiti prison breakout leaves 25 dead, 200 on the run and now with the details
Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on news you need to know.
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Feb 27 — More than 200 prisoners were on the run in Haiti yesterday, a day after they escaped from jail in a violent breakout that left 25 people dead including the prison director, officials said.
About 400 inmates fled on Thursday, with AFP photographs showing at least three dead bodies lying outside the prison and some captured prisoners under armed guard in the back of a truck.
“Twenty-five people died including six prisoners and Divisional Inspector Paul Hector Joseph who was in charge of the prison,” Secretary of Communication Frantz Exantus said of the mass escape from the jail in the suburbs of capital Port-au-Prince.
“Among those killed were some ordinary citizens who were killed by the prisoners during their escape.”
About 200 prisoners were still at large, but “the police are working hard to get them back. Some are in handcuffs, they will not be able to go far,” Exantus said.
One of the prisoners who died was gang leader Arnel Joseph, who was gunned down yesterday at a police check 120 kilometres (75 miles) north of the prison.
“Arnel Joseph was killed while attacking a police patrol which had stopped the motorcycle he was on. The police responded and Arnel Joseph is dead,” Exantus said.
Joseph, allegedly head of one of Haiti’s main criminal networks, was arrested in 2019 and had tried to escape from the prison last July after advertising his plan in a social media video a few days before the attempt.
While serving a sentence for murder, Joseph had already escaped twice from another prison, in Port-au-Prince, in 2010 and 2017.
Inaugurated in 2012, the high-security Croix-des-Bouquets prison was built with funding from Canada and has a maximum capacity of 872 inmates, although nearly double that number were incarcerated there before the escape. — AFP
These were the details of the news Haiti prison breakout leaves 25 dead, 200 on the run for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.