Another Chinese city goes into lockdown amid new Covid-19 threat

Another Chinese city goes into lockdown amid new Covid-19 threat
Another Chinese city goes into lockdown amid new Covid-19 threat

Hello and welcome to the details of Another Chinese city goes into lockdown amid new Covid-19 threat and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Volunteers stop a car at a checkpoint on a road leading into their village, following the coronavirus disease outbreak, on the outskirts of Beijing near the provincial border with Hebei province, China January 12, 2021. — Reuters pic

SHANGHAI, Jan 12 — Chinese authorities introduced new Covid-19 curbs in areas surrounding Beijing today, putting 4.9 million residents under lockdown as new infections raised worries about a second wave in a nation that has mostly contained the disease.

The number of new cases in mainland China reported today almost halved from a day earlier and remained a small fraction of what it saw at the height of the outbreak in early 2020. However, local authorities are implementing strict curbs whenever new cases emerge to prevent the kind of economic paralysis seen a year ago.

The National Health Commission reported 55 new Covid-19 cases today, down from 103 a day earlier. Hebei province, which surrounds Beijing, accounted for 40 of the 42 locally transmitted infections, with the capital and northeastern Heilongjiang province reporting one local case each.

The city of Langfang in Hebei today said its 4.9 million residents will be put under home quarantine for seven days and be subject to mass Covid-19 testing.

Two counties under Langfang’s jurisdiction that border Beijing — Guan and Sanhe — had already announced home quarantine measures. Guan reported one new Covid-19 case but Sanhe did not say whether any of its residents were diagnosed with the disease.

Shijiazhuang, Hebei’s capital, has been hardest hit in the latest surge in infections and has already placed its 11 million people under lockdown. The province has shut off certain sections of highways and is ordering vehicles registered to Shijiazhuang to turn back.

Gaocheng district in Shijiazhuang is gathering more than 20,000 people living in 12 remote villages into centralised quarantine as part of the city’s Covid-19 control, state media China News Service reported late yesterday.

Authorities in Beijing’s Xicheng district said today that the confirmed Covid-19 patient from Guan county works at a building in the district.

A new guideline issued by the Beijing Center for Disease Prevention and Control recommended that taxi and ride-hailing operators suspend car-pooling services, the Communist Party-backed Beijing Daily reported today.

The guideline also said that drivers should get a nucleic acid test for coronavirus every week and be vaccinated in order to work.

New cases

Other provinces in China are reporting new confirmed or asymptomatic cases. Heilongjiang province reported 36 new asymptomatic cases in Wangkui county, which also went into lockdown yesterday.

Authorities do not classify asymptomatic cases as confirmed Covid-19 infections. Yichun city in Heilongjiang province today reported one new asymptomatic case linked to Wangkui, as well.

Underscoring the risk of the spread, the city of Changchun — the capital of north-eastern Jilin province — reported seven new asymptomatic patients on January 11, four of whom had travelled from Wangkui recently.

Residential compounds that these patients lived in were put into lockdown, preventing people and vehicles from leaving the premises.

Authorities in Wuhan, where Covid-19 first emerged in late 2019, yesterday launched contact tracing work after two infected people from Hebei visited the city.

Across China, the number of new asymptomatic cases rose to 81 from 76 a day earlier.

In a rare move, Jinzhong, a city in Shanxi province that shares a border with Shijiazhuang, said today that it will administer Covid-19 tests on all travellers from Hebei on arrival, on top of other mandatory Covid-19 tests.

Jinzhong reported yesterday two asymptomatic patients who had returned from Hebei.

The total number of confirmed Covid-19 cases reported in mainland China now stands at 87,591, while the death toll remained unchanged at 4,634. — Reuters

These were the details of the news Another Chinese city goes into lockdown amid new Covid-19 threat for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Australian states squabble as NSW seeks vaccine priority amid Covid ‘emergency’
NEXT Deadly heat wave slams Canada, US