Abel Ferreira has a mentor, who knows Brazilian football well. Former Santos coach, Jesualdo Ferreira is treated by the likely new Palmeiras commander as a reference in the profession, with whom he lived at the beginning of his career as a coach. Now, the pupil must live the same experience as the idol, who gave advice and listed the greatest difficulties to be encountered by the young coach of 41 years.
In an exclusive conversation with the report of give, Jesualdo Ferreira bet on what he believes to be the biggest enemy of Abel Ferreira from the moment he took over Palmeiras: the very tight schedule of Brazilian football. The analysis comes from Santos’ own experience.
– Abel has good conditions to be able to do a good job and able to fight for titles. I know that in the next four months Palmeiras have more than 20 games, and that is a big problem in Brazil: there is no time to work. Working is not just talking, saying good or bad things. To organize a team, you have to speak, form and train. If you don’t do that, you can’t – said the 74-year-old Portuguese coach.
Abel Ferreira received advice from mentor Jesualdo Ferreira – Photo: Getty Images
– It is as if you were going to the sea and only there to check if the weather was good or bad. So, a lot of things are out of your control. The time is very short because the fans and the press are very demanding. They have a lot of passion, they love football, and they want to win if possible for yesterday, which is impossible – he added.
– Brazilian football questions what is happening with Brazilian coaches and why football here does not go forward. But nobody asks what football needs to do in your organization for coaches to be successful in Brazil. What do you have to do? Is there a pandemic that stops football for four months and returns all the same, without adapting the schedule? There is no equal – argued Jesualdo Ferreira, citing the almost zero adaptation of the calendar to the break by Covid-19.
Faced with this scenario of absolute pressure from all sides, Jesualdo Ferreira also gives a message to Palmeiras. Very praising the young coach’s ability, the former Santos commander asks for patience from the people around the club; both board, players, fans and press.
– It will be difficult for Abel Ferreira to succeed if he doesn’t have support. But before the coach is successful, the club is successful. People don’t realize that by not supporting the coach, they don’t support the club. The first injured are the coaches, but then the players are injured and then the managers. What gives hope is that they get together and support the coach. Then you can analyze – explained Jesualdo.
Jesualdo Ferreira led Santos until August this year – Photo: Getty Images
– I am sure that Abel knows all the players of Palmeiras, but you only know one player even when you work with him. The players, on the other hand, don’t know him. So how do you do it? If there is not an attitude of solidarity on the part of the club and the football of Palmeiras, if the people within Palmeiras, the entire professional structure, are not together, paddling to the same side, it will be difficult for a coach to succeed, whether at Palmeiras, Santos or Flamengo – he declared.
Palmeiras hits with PAOK and is close to closing with Portuguese coach Abel Ferreira
Jesualdo Ferreira met Abel as a player. In 2004, when he was in charge of Braga, the former Santos coach hired then-back Abel Ferreira. Together, they fought for the Portuguese title and appreciated each other, so much so that the “pupil” moved to Sporting a year later.
At Sporting, the two met, now as coaches. Jesualdo Ferreira took over the Lisbon club in 2013 and again worked with Abel, at the time of the under-19 technical team and a partner in weekly meetings with the team. There, he saw potential and became an advisor to the man who is close to being announced at Palmeiras.
Abel Ferreira, Palmeiras target, in PAOK x Granada – Photo: Disclosure / PAOK
– Abel is someone who has within him what I understand to be the most important thing to be a coach: wanting to improve more and more on a daily basis, having passion for the game and being someone who believes in his ideas. Abel believes in them and goes to work to do the possible and the impossible to fulfill them. Their teams are normally organized, as they attack and defend with balance, with players very connected in the game, with a lot of intensity – said Jesualdo, who sees the squad compatible with the ideas of Abel Ferreira.
– Palmeiras has a squad that fits Abel Ferreira. In my opinion, not saying it is better or worse than Flamengo, São Paulo, the squad of Palmeiras is of the best level and has a lot of quality from what I could observe there in Brazil. In a first phase of Paulistão, Palmeiras was undisputed better than Santos, better than Corinthians and better than São Paulo – added the coach, who trusts in the relationship to be built.
Jesualdo faced Palmeiras still under the command of Vanderlei Luxemburgo – Photo: Marcos Ribolli
– At that time I was the best (team) I saw. We had an excellent game against Palmeiras, 0-0 draw, in the game I played against Yuri Alberto, and I liked it. Abel will have players to make a team at the level of Palmeiras as a club – ended Jesualdo Ferreira
These were the details of the news Jesualdo praises Palmeiras and gives Abel Ferreira notice about Brazil: “They... for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at time24.news and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.