Nearly 25,500 rare archaeological pieces relating mainly to prehistory and paleontology, seized by French Customs in 2005 and 2006, were returned to Morocco on Thursday.
Uhe ceremony took place this Thursday at the Museum of European and Mediterranean Civilizations (MuCEM) in the Phocaean city during which this exceptional archaeological lot was handed over to the Consul General of Morocco in Marseille, Said Bakhkhar, by the deputy interregional director of customs and indirect rights of the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur (PACA) region, in the presence of representatives of the ministries responsible for culture and foreign affairs of France and Morocco, and of French customs.
In total, there are 24,459 fossil and archaeological objects, trilobites, teeth, animal skulls and jaws, arrowheads and cut tools and rock engravings, from pre-Saharan and anti-Atlas sites, and dating from 500,000 million years and from the Paleolithic and Neolithic times (6,130,000 years / – 6,000 years), which will return to Morocco.
Among this inestimable treasure, there are rock engravings, some of which date from the Neolithic era, a crocodile skull still partly in its matrix, an exceptional piece especially since very many fakes are on sale, as well as teeth of fish and reptiles dated mainly from the Eocene, second period of the Paleogene and second of the Cenozoic era (56-33 million years ago).
These archaeological objects had been intercepted on the occasion of three consecutive seizures carried out by the Arles and Perpignan customs authorities between November 2005 and November 2006.
“I would like to congratulate the French customs services for their vigilance. I can only rejoice at the return of this collection to Morocco, its country of origin, where it will find its natural place in the middle of a rich and precious heritage which is proving to be an inexhaustible source of discoveries for the scientific community like us. reminded us of the recent discovery, in 2017, in Jbel Irhoud, of the oldest Homo Sapiens, ”said Chakib Benmoussa, Moroccan ambassador to France.
“This handover testifies to the common will of our two countries to form a united front against the illicit trafficking of cultural property within the framework of our respective international commitments in the matter”, he added.
“This ceremony embodies the common will of the two countries, Morocco and France, for the protection of cultural heritage,” said Said Bakhkhar, Consul General of Morocco in Marseille.
For his part, the National Director of Moroccan Heritage at the Ministry of Culture, Youssef Khiara, affirmed that “this heritage will find its native land and will be exposed to the Moroccan public”.
The recovery of these archaeological objects is part of the action plan of the Ministry of Culture aimed at heritage protection and the fight against illicit trafficking in cultural property, in particular movable heritage.
It also intervenes in accordance with the international commitments of Morocco and France relating to the implementation of the 1970 UNESCO Convention for the prohibition and prevention of the import, export and transfer of property of cultural property to which both countries are parties.
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!
These were the details of the news Morocco recovers 25,500 rare archaeological pieces seized in France for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at en24news and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.