Syrians will die as aid access is cut, agencies warn

Thank you for your reading and interest in the news Syrians will die as aid access is cut, agencies warn and now with details

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - Lives will be lost and more than 1.3 million will suffer following a UN resolution that leaves only one border crossing open for aid deliveries from Turkey into rebel-held northwest Syria, humanitarian agencies said on Sunday.

The UN Security Council passed a resolution on Saturday to restart cross-border humanitarian aid to Syria, but only after caving to Russian pressure to close one of two access points into the war-torn country.

"In northwest Syria, where a vital cross-border lifeline has been closed ... it will be harder to reach an estimated 1.3 million people dependent on food and medicine delivered by the UN cross-border," aid agencies operating in Syria said in a joint statement.

"Many will now not receive the help they need. Lives will be lost. Suffering will intensify."

Western states had pressed for aid access to continue through two crossings at the Turkish border, but Russia, President Bashar al-Assad's main ally in his war against, and China vetoed a last-ditch effort on Friday to keep both open.

"With the first case of Covid-19 confirmed in Idlib, an area with a severely weakened health infrastructure, this is a devastating blow," the statement added.

Following a week of division and seven ballots, the Council passed a proposal submitted by Germany and Belgium allowing the use of the Bab Al Hawa crossing point for one year.

The measure was approved by 12 of 15 members, with Russia, China and the Dominican Republic abstaining, diplomats said.

Authorisation for the continued transport of aid to Syria, a system in place since 2014, expired on Friday night after Moscow and Beijing used their veto power and the Council then rejected a counterproposal from Russia.

With the approval of the German-Belgian proposal on Saturday, the Bab Al Hawa crossing point on Syria's northwestern border with Turkey will be maintained for a year, until July 10, 2021.

This will allow badly needed humanitarian aid to continue flowing to several million Syrians living in the insurgent region of Idlib, which the Syrian regime does not control.

Syrian protesters in the Syrian city of Idlib carry placards expressing their opposition to regime ally Russia's attempt to reduce cross-border aid to millions in the northwest of the war-torn country, as they wear protective masks and maintain social distancing due to the first case of coronavirus recorded a day earlier, on July 10, 2020. AFP

For weeks, Russia, Syria's most important ally, has been demanding an end to the use of the Bab Al Salam border crossing, which leads to the Aleppo region in northern Syria.

European countries and the US had wanted to maintain both crossing points.

"Russia controls this process," said Richard Gowan of the International Crisis Group think tank.

"The drama and vetoes of the last week were a distraction as ultimately Russia was always going to force a settlement on roughly the terms we see today," he told AFP.

The outcome of Saturday's vote is a notable failure for the United States, whose ambassador had called the maintenance of two border crossings a "red line."

UN authorisation allows the international body to distribute aid to displaced Syrians without Damascus's permission.

But Russia and China argue that the authorisation violates Syria's sovereignty, and that aid can increasingly be channelled through Syrian authorities.

In a separate statement, Physicians for Human Rights said the resolution had shut down "direct routes to hundreds of thousands of displaced Syrians in dire need of food and medicine".

Louis Charbonneau, UN director at Human Rights Watch, said: "Council members buckled and gave Moscow what it wanted – a further drastic reduction of cross-border aid to desperate Syrians who rely on it for survival."

Western member states reject Russia's arguments, saying there is no credible alternative to the cross-border system and that Syrian bureaucracy and politics prevent an effective flow of aid in areas not controlled by the Syrian regime.

Susannah Sirkin, of Physicians for Human Rights, called the UN system "the most viable channel to deliver aid to millions of Syrians in need."

"Without it, civilians who rely on lifesaving assistance will be at the mercy of the Syrian government," which could block aid deliveries to areas under opposition control, she said.

The closure of the Bab Al Salam crossing was also a setback for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, who called in June for a one-year extension of the aid to include the two access points.

In January, Moscow succeeded in having the crossing points reduced from four to two and in limiting the authorisation to six months instead of a year.

This week Russia and China exercised their veto rights as permanent members twice – on Tuesday and Friday – even as NGOs and Western countries accused them of politicising a humanitarian issue.

Friday's vetoes by Moscow and Beijing marked the 16th for Russia and 10th for China on texts linked to Syria since the war began in 2011.

Dominican Ambassador Jose Singer said, "We are disappointed that once again, the Security Council has been unable to collectively and constructively address one of the greatest humanitarian tragedies of our time."

But the German ambassador, Heiko Maas, said it was "good news for millions of Syrian men, women and children that the Security Council was ultimately able to agree on our compromise proposal."

Updated: July 12, 2020 12:57 PM

These were the details of the news Syrians will die as aid access is cut, agencies warn for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at The National and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Police seize over 100 suspected stolen bikes at London address
NEXT British MP Craig Whittaker accused of racism after blaming Muslims and minorities for new coronavirus lockdown