New ban on Philippines' top broadcaster fuels press freedom worries

New ban on Philippines' top broadcaster fuels press freedom worries
New ban on Philippines' top broadcaster fuels press freedom worries

Hello and welcome to the details of New ban on Philippines' top broadcaster fuels press freedom worries and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Security guards stand outside the headquarters of ABS-CBN network following government orders to cease its operations, in Quezon City, Metro Manila Philippines May 5, 2020. — Reuters pic

MANILA, July 1 — The Philippines' top broadcaster ABS-CBN Corp was ordered to stop transmitting satellite and digital television yesterday just weeks after its free TV and radio operations were halted, adding to worries over press freedom.

The 66-year-old broadcaster had been at odds with President Rodrigo Duterte since his campaign for election in 2016, and its main licence was not renewed when it expired in May.

The government's National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) instructed Sky Cable Corp, an ABS-CBN subsidiary and the largest cable company in the country, to “immediately cease and desist” its direct-to-home satellite transmission yesterday.

NTC also directed the broadcaster to stop airing digital television.

According to its chief executive, ABS-CBN reaches 11 million homes or some 55 million people, roughly half the population.

It said it hoped a petition with the Supreme Court over its licence would soon be resolved in its favour. It can still broadcast on social media.

The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines said yesterday's order deprived millions more Filipinos of their right to choose how they receive news and entertainment.

“It is clear that the end goal of this administration is not only to shut down ABS-CBN, but to send a message throughout the media industry that other news organisations may face the same fate unless they surrender their watchdog role,” it said in a statement.

That is to provide “the critical and independent reportage that is an essential part of the media's mission,” it said.

Duterte's spokesman Harry Roque did not respond to a request for comment. The government has previously said it believes in free speech, and that ABS-CBN's problems are legal not political.

However, Duterte had warned it in the past that he would not allow the renewal of its franchise.

The bad relationship stems from the broadcaster's failure to air some of Duterte's paid election campaign commercials. The company apologised recently.

Concerns over press freedom increased this month after a court convicted veteran journalist Maria Ressa of libel. She faces up to six years in jail.

Duterte, a populist, has waged a war on drugs that has left thousands dead and he recently renewed a threat to kill drug dealers, despite condemnation in a UN report.

He is soon expected to sign an anti-terrorism law his opponents fear could target them, but which he says is needed to fight extremism. — Reuters

These were the details of the news New ban on Philippines' top broadcaster fuels press freedom worries for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Pompeo calls Taliban leader amid Russian bounty claims
NEXT Sahel allies have ‘shifted the dynamic’ in fight with extremists: Macron