Brazil's Vale knew Brumadinho dam was unsafe as early as 2003, says internal report

Brazil's Vale knew Brumadinho dam was unsafe as early as 2003, says internal report
Brazil's Vale knew Brumadinho dam was unsafe as early as 2003, says internal report

Hello and welcome to the details of Brazil's Vale knew Brumadinho dam was unsafe as early as 2003, says internal report and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Members of rescue team carry a body recovered after a tailings dam owned by Brazilian mining company Vale SA collapsed, in Brumadinho, Brazil January 27, 2019. — Reuters pic

BRASILIA, Feb 21 ― An independent investigation requested by Brazilian iron ore miner Vale SA into the causes of the Brumadinho tailings dam disaster that killed 270 people a year ago found the company knew about the problem but failed to deal with it.

An executive summary of the report published by Vale on Thursday said the company had had information dating as far back as 2003 that pointed to the fragility of the main B1 dam.

But steps taken to deal with the structural problem and heighten the dam's security were limited and ineffective, the report said.

The Brumadinho dam burst in January 2019 in Minas Gerais state, unleashing an avalanche of muddy mining waste which killed an estimated 270 people, burying many of them alive.

The internal report serves as a damning condemnation of the firm, some of its employees and various auditors. While concerns were raised at various points in time about the dam's safety, those concerns were repeatedly ignored or minimized over the course of 16 years.

In January, state prosecutors charged Fabio Schvartsman, the chief executive at the time of the burst, with homicide. A Brazilian state judge last week accepted the charges.

The investigating team concluded that the dam burst was due to structural instability caused by liquefaction, citing among other factors inadequate drainage of the reservoir and a dam that was not designed to contain liquefied material.

Among their recommendations, mostly referring to improved operating procedures, the investigators said the company should evaluate the potential risks at other similar dam structures.

Vale said in a securities filing that it has already addressed most of the issues mentioned in the recommendations with numerous steps to improve its internal controls.

The company said it will announce a timetable for implementing all the those actions within 30 days.

The report said that studies in 2016 had determined the dam was in “fragile” condition, and subsequent 2017 studies determined its state was “barely marginal.”

However, Vale's geo-technical division, “resisted when it came to accepting the results of the 2017 study,” the report said.

The report added that in July 2016, then-Director of Coal and Ferrous Metals Peter Poppinga ordered that tailings cease to be deposited at the B1 dam reservoir, “possibly as a result of security concerns relating to B1.”

Poppinga could not immediately be reached yesterday evening.

The move by a judge in Brazil's mining heartland of Minas Gerais follows charges filed by state prosecutors on Jan. 21 accusing the former CEO and other 15 people of homicide.

The report on Brumadinho was announced hours after Vale reported quarterly results that showed the company was still reeling from the disaster despite managing to limit the apparent effects of the dam burst on output.

In a securities filing, the company reported a US$1.56 billion (RM6.54 billion) net loss in the fourth quarter.

Vale severely missed quarterly profit and margin estimates largely due to impairments related to its base metal and coal operations and the lingering effects of the dam burst. ― Reuters

These were the details of the news Brazil's Vale knew Brumadinho dam was unsafe as early as 2003, says internal report for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, the proud hands-on father
NEXT US tops 130,000 deaths from Covid-19 after record surge in cases