French FM warns of terror threat ‘arc’ from Mali to the Middle East

Thank you for your reading and interest in the news French FM warns of terror threat ‘arc’ from Mali to the Middle East and now with details

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian has warned of an emerging “arc of terrorist groups” running from West Africa to the Middle East.

His comments came after 71 soldiers were killed in Niger in an attack carried out by hundreds of extremists and claimed by ISIS.

Mr Le Drian, speaking to French broadcaster France Inter, said: “What is at stake in the Sahel is … the stability of the territory, but also our own security.”

A soldier looks at the graves of the soldiers killed before the arrival of the Leaders of the G5 Sahel nations in Niamey, on Sunday. AFP
A soldier looks at the graves of the soldiers killed before the arrival of the Leaders of the G5 Sahel nations in Niamey, on Sunday. AFP

France’s military presence in the Sahel from August 2014 has been criticised by some of its African partners.

In the wake of a helicopter collision that killed 13 French soldiers, President Emmanuel Macron called on leaders of the G5 Sahel group to “clarify” their position on continued French military operations.

Defending the French military presence in the region, Mr Le Drian said: “We are only there to fight terrorism.”

Describing a terror threat stretching from war-torn Mali and the Sahel region of Africa to the Middle East, the foreign minister said that ISIS remained a significant threat.

“Daesh is not dead. Daesh has suffered defeats, but the fact remains that this threat is permanent,” he said.

“We greatly underestimate the risk posed by Daesh fighters,” he added.

Mr Le Drian cautioned that the extremist group could mount a resurgence in Syria: “There are around 10,000 fighters in prison who are ready to resume fighting.”

The comments followed talks in Niger on Sunday attended by the leaders of the G5 Sahel group. A meeting with President Macron, planned for Monday in France, was postponed after the deadly attack on Nigerien forces.

The group, represented by the leaders of Mali, Niger, Chad, Burkina Faso and Mauritania, called for closer cooperation and international support in the battle against extremism in the region.

“The heads of state reiterated their desire to do everything possible to improve joint coordination between the joint forces, the forces of defence and national security, and international allies,” the group said in a statement issued after the summit.

The talks with Mr Macron will now take place early next year.

Earlier in the day, four of the leaders attended a ceremony at an air base in the capital Niamey to pay homage to the 71 Nigerien military personnel killed in the attack claimed by ISIS.

The leaders of the G5 Sahel group. AFP
The leaders of the G5 Sahel group. AFP

Hundreds of extremists, travelling in trucks and on motorbikes and supported by artillery, assaulted and overran an isolated military camp on December 10.

The attack, in Inates in the western Tillaberi region, was the deadliest on Niger's military since violence began to spill over from neighbouring Mali in 2015, and dealt a blow to efforts to roll back extremism in the Sahel.

Niger has been observing three days of national mourning from Friday to Sunday.

Militant attacks in the Sahel have jumped roughly four-fold this year compared to 2018, according to the Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project. The group recorded 210 assaults in 2019, compared to 56 last year.

Updated: December 16, 2019 06:57 PM

These were the details of the news French FM warns of terror threat ‘arc’ from Mali to the Middle East for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at The National and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Raissa Barbosa is eliminated from A Fazenda 12 with 25.58% of...
NEXT Demolition of building that fell in Betim, in Greater BH, ends...