Fighting rages as Libya force pushes toward key western city

Fighting rages as Libya force pushes toward key western city
Fighting rages as Libya force pushes toward key western city

You are now following the details of the Fighting rages as Libya force pushes toward key western city news and now we leave you with the details

Mohamed Nass - Cairo - CAIRO (AP) — Officials from Libya’s two rival governments said fighting erupted Sunday as the country’s east-based forces advanced toward the strategic western city of Misrata, further eroding a crumbling cease-fire agreement brokered earlier this month.

The clashes came just hours after the United Nations decried “continued blatant violations” of an arms embargo on Libya by several unspecified countries. The violations fly in the face of recent pledges to respect the embargo made by world powers at an international conference in Berlin last week.

Libya is divided between rival governments based in its east and west, each supported by various armed militias and foreign backers.

The weak but U.N.-recognized government is based in the capital, Tripoli, and led by Prime Minister Fayez Sarraj. It is backed by Turkey, and to a lesser degree Qatar and Italy. Rival forces based in the east and loyal to military commander Khalifa Haftar receive support from the United Arab Emirates and Egypt, as well as France and Russia.

Haftar’s forces were advancing some 120 kilometers (around 75 miles) east of Misrata, near the town of Abugrein, according to the media office of militias allied with the Tripoli government. It said clashes were still taking place in the outskirts of Abugrein.

A spokesman for forces allied with the Tripoli government, Mohamed Gnounou, said in a statement posted online that Haftar’s repeated violations made the cease-fire “useless.”

An official with Haftar’s forces said they have wrested control of two towns, Qaddaheya and Wadi Zamzam, on their way to Abugrein. The official spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations.

Ahmed al-Mesmari, a spokesman for Haftar’s forces, told a press conference that their offensive on Abugrein was a “limited, pre-emptive strike to achieve certain targets” after they received intelligence that the Tripoli-allied militias were preparing to attack in the area. He did not elaborate.

Misrata is Libya’s second largest city and home to militias who oppose Haftar and have been extremely important in Sarraj’s defense of the capital. Haftar’s forces have laid siege to Tripoli since last April.

Jalel Harchaoui, a Libya expert at The Netherlands Institute of International Relations, said Haftar’s swing toward Misrata was a tactic calculated to draw away the Misratan militias defending the capital toward their hometown. He said it had a “good chance of succeeding” and weakening the U.N.-supported government’s defenses in Tripoli as a result.

Haftar’s forces captured Sirte earlier this month, a major below to the Tripoli-based administration. Sirte is located about 370 kilometers (230 miles) east of Tripoli.

The nationwide truce, brokered by Russia and Turkey, marked the first break in fighting in months, but there have been repeated violations.

Also on Sunday, the U.N. support mission in Libya, UNSMIL, said two civilians were wounded when two Grad missiles hit Tripoli’s only functioning airport, Mitiga. The airport was shut down earlier this month following a similar attack, with Haftar’s forces saying they would impose a no-fly zone over the terminals’ area.

Late Saturday, the UNSMIL released a statement saying “several (countries) who participated in the Berlin Conference” have been violating the arms embargo.

“Over the last ten days, numerous cargo and other flights have been observed landing at Libyan airports in the western and eastern parts of the country providing the parties with advanced weapons, armored vehicles, advisers and fighters,” the U.N. statement said.

Turkey has sent troops in support of the Tripoli government but the Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan reiterated that the deployment consists of “trainers and educators” and not a combat force.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which tracks Syria’s civil war, says hundreds of Turkey-backed Syrian rebels have arrived in Libya and joined the fighting on the side of the Tripoli-based government.

U.S. officials said Haftar’s recent push came with the aid of hundreds of Russian mercenaries. U.N. experts said in a report earlier this month that Sudanese armed groups from the Darfur region also joined the fighting recently on both sides.

The Berlin summit participants were from Algeria, China, Egypt, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, Turkey, Republic of Congo, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom and United States plus representatives of the United Nations, African Union, European Union and Arab League.

The peace push followed a surge in Haftar’s offensive against Tripoli, which threatened to plunge Libya into chaos rivaling the 2011 conflict that ousted and killed longtime dictator Muammar Gadhafi.

Earlier this month, powerful tribal groups loyal to Hifter also seized several large oil export terminals along the eastern coast as well as southern oil fields. The closure of Libya’s major oil fields and production facilities has resulted in losses of more than $255 million in the six-day period ending Jan. 23, the country’s national oil company said Saturday.

Reporting by Samy Magdy

Image: Libyan Gen. Khalifa Haftar joins a meeting with the Greek Foreign Minister Nikos Dendias in Athens, Friday, Jan. 17, 2020. The commander of anti-government forces in war-torn Libya has begun meetings in Athens in a bid to counter Turkey’s support for his opponents (AP Photo/Thanassis Stavrakis)

These were the details of the news Fighting rages as Libya force pushes toward key western city for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at egypt independent and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV UK’s Plan B if Boris Johnson had died from coronavirus is revealed
NEXT Global Covid-19 death toll could hit 2 million before vaccine in wide use, WHO says