Afghanistan still insists ceasefire amid US-Taleban talks

Afghanistan still insists ceasefire amid US-Taleban talks
Afghanistan still insists ceasefire amid US-Taleban talks

Thank you for reading the news about Afghanistan still insists ceasefire amid US-Taleban talks and now with the details

Aden - Yasmine El Tohamy - A possible US-Taleban agreement is expected to pave the way for intra-Afghan peace talks.

As the US and Taleban began a new round of peace talks in Doha, an Afghanistan government spokesman said that "all allies" of the country, as well as the "people of Afghanistan," were "insisting on a ceasefire" before the next step in the peace process.

In this latest round of peace talks, the Taleban has reportedly agreed to a reduction in violence for a 10-day period which means the group will not carry out attacks in urban areas, reports TOLO News.

Addressing a press conference in Kabul on Saturday, spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said the talks were underway between US special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad's team and the Taleban negotiators, but there has been "no progress so far", referring specifically to discussions about a ceasefire or reduction in violence.

Sediqqi said that ending the war and bringing peace to the country were priorities of the government of Afghanistan and "the President and the people of Afghanistan have always insisted on a ceasefire".

The spokesman reiterated that the ceasefire was the "most important demand of Afghans", adding that the Taliban "should accept a ceasefire if they are really interested in peace".

The process will "not achieve any results without the role of the Afghan government", Sediqqi said.

The new talks began last week after a month-long break since the two sides paused the negotiations for internal consultations on December 12, 2019, reports Efe news.

The Taleban and the US resumed the negotiations on December 7 following a three-month stalemate after President Donald abruptly called off the talks in September over a deadly attack in Kabul that also killed an American soldier.

A possible US-Taleban agreement is expected to pave the way for intra-Afghan peace talks between the Taleban and the government of President Ashraf Ghani.

The Taleban have for long rejected to hold any official and direct talks with the Afghan government before it reaches an agreement with the US on its troop withdrawal from the country.

These were the details of the news Afghanistan still insists ceasefire amid US-Taleban talks for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Khaleej Times and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV US Supreme Court takes up Germany’s appeal in Nazi art dispute
NEXT Sahel allies have ‘shifted the dynamic’ in fight with extremists: Macron