US officials 'pause' Taleban talks after suicide attack

US officials 'pause' Taleban talks after suicide attack
US officials 'pause' Taleban talks after suicide attack

Thank you for reading the news about US officials 'pause' Taleban talks after suicide attack and now with the details

Aden - Yasmine El Tohamy - US negotiators are taking a "brief pause" from talks with the Taleban after the militants launched a suicide attack on a US base outside Kabul killing two civilians, Special Envoy for Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad said on Friday.

Khalilzad had renewed talks with the Taleban earlier this month on steps that could lead to a ceasefire and a settlement of the 18-year-long war in Afghanistan.

"I met Talebs today, I expressed outrage about attack on Bagram," Khalilzad wrote on Twitter, referring to the attack on Bagram air base on Wednesday which killed two people and injured more than 70 others.

"We're taking a brief pause for them to consult their leadership on this essential topic," he added.

Taleban spokesman Suhail Shaheen said Friday's meeting was "very good and friendly".

"Both sides decided to resume the talks after a few days of break for consultation," he said.

The assault on Bagram base came despite the resumption of talks between the United States and the insurgent group days before in Qatar, as the parties look for a path to reduce violence or even reach a ceasefire, allowing a gradual withdrawal of US and NATO troops from Afghanistan.

Peace negotiations began earlier this year, though US President Donald unexpectedly suspended talks in September citing an attack in Kabul in which an American soldier was killed.

Trump paid a surprise Thanksgiving visit to Afghanistan last month and said the United States and the Taleban had been engaged in ongoing peace talks and the Taleban wanted a ceasefire.

Tens of thousands of Afghan civilians, security officials and more than 2,400 American service members have been killed in the almost two-decade-old war.

There are currently about 13,000 U.S. forces in Afghanistan as well as thousands of other NATO troops.

US officials have said forces could drop to 8,600 and still carry out an effective, core counter-terrorism mission as well as some limited advising for Afghan forces.

These were the details of the news US officials 'pause' Taleban talks after suicide attack for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Khaleej Times and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Why does Britain’s finance minister drink tea from a £180 cup?
NEXT Europe coronavirus deaths top 200,000