Libyan official says Turkish troops unwanted

Libyan official says Turkish troops unwanted
Libyan official says Turkish troops unwanted

Thank you for your reading and interest in the news Libyan official says Turkish troops unwanted and now with details

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - Turkey’s willingness to dispatch troops to Libya is “unacceptable” and such a move would constitute unwanted meddling in the affairs of a friendly country, the speaker of the country’s parliament said on Saturday.

Aguila Saleh said in a joint statement with his Cypriot counterpart that Turkey’s actions are increasing tensions and destabilising the region.

Mr Saleh and Cypriot parliamentary speaker Demetris Syllouris also reiterated their condemnation of a maritime border agreement that Turkey signed with Libya’s Tripoli-based government — but which hasn’t been ratified by the Libyan parliament — as a “flagrant violation of international law that’s devoid of any legal basis”.

According to the Cyprus News Agency, Mr Saleh said Prime Minister Fayez Sarraj isn’t authorised to sign any agreements on his own because any such deal requires unanimous approval from the nine-member presidential council and parliament’s assent.

Libya's internationally recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) has been fending off a months-long offensive by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar's forces in eastern Libya.

Speaking through an interpreter, Saleh said Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan took advantage of the divisions within Libya, as well as Tripoli’s control by “terrorist groups,” to get the agreements approved.

According to Mr Saleh, President Erdogan’s aim “is to provoke countries in the eastern Mediterranean and to interfere in their exclusive economic zones without taking account these countries’ sovereign rights at sea and in the air”.

A senior Cypriot government official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press that Mr Saleh asked European Union member Cyprus to convey to the 28-member bloc that deployment of Turkish forces in his country would destabilise the entire region.

On a surprise visit to Tunisia earlier this week, Mr Erdogan reiterated that his county would evaluate sending soldiers to Libya if there is an invitation from Tripoli, where Mr Sarraj’s United Nations-supported but weak administration is based.

Turkey has signed maritime and agreements with the Libyan government that controls Tripoli and some of the country’s west.

The military deal allows Ankara to dispatch military experts and personnel, along with weapons, despite a UN arms embargo.

Turkey contends the maritime agreement gives it economic rights to a large swath of the eastern Mediterranean sea. Greece, Cyprus and Egypt have denounced the deal as legally invalid as it encroaches on their maritime borders.

In Rome, asked about possible Turkish military action in Libya in support of Mr Sarraj’s forces, Italian Premier Giuseppe Conte said he had tried to discourage any attempt at a military solution for Libya.

Mr Conte, who discussed Libya with Erdogan in a phone call last week, told reporters on Saturday that further conflict in the North African country, across the Mediterranean from Italy, would only aggravate the “incredible fragmentation” there.

“I implored Turkish President Erdogan” against military involvement, Mr Conte said.

Mr Conte called for stepped-up diplomatic pressure for a political solution, and said Italian Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio might soon return to Libya to work for a “cessation of hostilities”.

Updated: December 29, 2019 01:15 AM

These were the details of the news Libyan official says Turkish troops unwanted for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at The National and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Pfizer and BioNTech laboratories in turn submit an authorization request for their vaccine in Europe
NEXT DeepMind develops an AI that solves a 50-year-old medical challenge